Extruding spline shapes - inconsistent?

Hello,
I am experiencing inconsistent behaviour when extruding splines - sometimes the ends are not covered, even if this is specified. This can be seen in the attached file, which also shows a simple polygon that extrudes with no problems.

Behaviour is not consistent, because often the extrusion has no problems at all. I did many tests and I cant figure it out. I wonder if there is a trick to preparing a spline before extrusion? I am wondering if this is a function of Catalina, because I never experienced it before.

rgds/ RandyQ

Attachments

• EXTRUDE issues.png
    EXTRUDE issues.png
    269.6 KB · Views: 223
No cover means "not closed spline". To check go Tools->Spline->Create Spline->Close Spline: OK.
Or let one end point snap to the other with component snapping.

Cheers
Frank

* I can not replicate the problem you are reporting (using Catalina).
* Please upload the .jas for a check.
:unsure: Presumably, Frank is right in his assumption that your curvilinear spline has a gap.

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 15.14.58.png

Last edited:
* Note that a non-closed spline may not be obvious. You can have co-located points.
* That there are two splines will be visible in the colouration and in the object info.
* In the example a circle with a broken segment. Instead of 1 path and 5 pathops the object info shows 2 paths and 6 pathops.

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 15.52.54.png

I really don´t know why you make things so complicated sometimes. :unsure:

Well, some context is in order before you can make a statement like that. I've been using C3D for quite a while and never had this problem. Then when I started having this issue a few weeks ago, I assumed it was user error since I never encountered it before. So I then tried a whole bunch of approaches to making splines, including those listed above, and only when I was sure it was inconsistent did I bring it up. INCONSISTENT means I DO THE SAME OPERATION THE SAME WAY but get different results each time. Thats why I brought it up here.

Whats funny though is the issue has disappeared now that I try it again (yes doing exactly the same things again). I now have no idea what was going on.

rgds/ RandyQ

:mad: If you don´t know you are welcome to skip unconstructive comments.
* Randy Q has been around for some 5 years, so he (presumably) may be interested in utilising the less obvious tools. If the OP finds my answer to be unhelpful or confusing, they will say so.

Back