Bicycle Build

On the right track.

Here's my first go at a mountain bike tire.
Not loving the pattern though, it needs some work still.

MB tire.jpg

* This is highly professional and excellent engineering modelling. I greatly appreciate your sparse and clinical method. Possibly because I have come to deploy a similar "mechanistic" style to my world of biology.
* Greetings from Vienna to New England.

Thanks Helmut. The bicycle world is full of the most beautifully designed and finished objects to model.

I'm 30 minutes away from Vienna Maine- Stay Safe

I had to build another frame because I decided to buy this one, not just the frame but the whole thing of course.
Very similar to the design of the Trek but better and most importantly, less expensive. Delivery should be early August.

99.99% of e-bikes sold in the US are of European design, 250 watts and no throttle.
With motors supplied by Bosch, Yamaha and Shimano.

I understand most of Europe is restricted to 250 watts, but most US cities and states allow 750 watts max.
Luckily there's no such restriction in Asia so companies like Bafang and others in China make the 750's.

This is also a carbon fiber frame, which is usually only on very expensive high end bikes.
We may see more affordable carbon frames soon as more factories are opening in China.

LUNA frame.jpg

After working on mountain bike tires for way longer than I wanted to, I have not been satisfied with my results.

Just as well, the huge number of polygons was slowing me down.

So I'm going with an older Idea I had, which was to create a hydraulic "testing bench" to mount it on.

Now what's slowing me down is a sprained right wrist and bruised ribs from
having my bicycle slide out from under me and face-planting in the dirt.

My hand of many colors, blue, purple and then gray is now turning orange.
For a short time between gray and orange it looked like I had a weird tan.

Still can't open anything with a twisting action like jars or bottles with it.
But all the fingers point in the right direction and they work, so time will tell.

My hand of many colors, blue, purple and then gray is now turning orange.
For a short time between gray and orange it looked like I had a weird tan.

Count yourself lucky. A few summers ago, we took my parents on a vacation to Oregon/Northern California. The afternoon we arrived, My Mom tripped on a curb and gave herself a goose-egg knot on her forehead. Fortunately, there was no concussion or other injury, but over the next few weeks, as the bruise worked its way downward with gravity, her entire face went from pale white to black and purple to a very, very sickly green. I swear, she looked just like a zombie. Every time we went into a restaurant, people gave my Dad dirty looks as if he had beaten her.

She recovered quickly, but she forbade me from taking any pictures, so I only have one photo of it all. The next year, my Dad strained his knee, so my nieces and nephews told us we couldn't play with them any more unless we promised not to break them.

Zoo, get well soon!

(I have to admit I had to laugh when I cam to the part with the sickly orange, weird tan, because that reminded me of someone).

Zoo, get well soon!

(I have to admit I had to laugh when I cam to the part with the sickly orange, weird tan, because that reminded me of someone).
Thanks, It's getting better. Then I hear about Simon breaking his back on his new electric bike, yikes.

I heard Simon was trying an electric motorcycle, not a bicycle, big difference.

He probably tried revving the throttle.
These things have no clutch and are silent when on, it's twist and go baby.

(I'm probably not the only one who doesn't know Simon Cowell, which seems to be the only Simon who broke his back. Now I know that he is a music producer who's famous because he's a juror on a talent show ... or otherwise around ... Musically I'm a bit narrow minded, one could say, as I'm with a few exceptions only interested if it's jazz or classic, mainly jazz, so I'm a special case anyway, but I don't believe that non-americans really heard of him. And I watch some american news / news related clips from the USA. American news take some getting used to, by the way, everything said at least 5times over, and ... who ... not very neutral ...)

(I'm probably not the only one who doesn't know Simon Cowell, which seems to be the only Simon who broke his back. Now I know that he is a music producer who's famous because he's a juror on a talent show ... or otherwise around ...

Basically, he IS a music producer, but he's famous for being annoying and abrasive. Like LOTS of TV personalities.

Basically, he IS a music producer, but he's famous for being annoying and abrasive. Like LOTS of TV personalities.

They tend to be even more annoying and abrasive if they change into politics afterwards, it seems.

By the way, this kind of tv format has reached Europe already many years ago (as many European formats are often more or less blatant copies of American ones. But we are in many ways a few years (or decades) behind, so news are still presented with the insight that the viewer very probably is not brain dead ... And no, I don't think Europeans are generally more educated, more intelligent or whatever. Sad, isn't it?)

@ ZooHead:
:eek:Oh my Goodness! I'm sorry to hear of your accident.
I sound just like a granny don't I? :giggle:
:)So glad you are healing.
Maybe you should stick to Electric Wheelchairs. :LOL::whistle::giggle:
All kidding aside: I hope you are completely healed soon.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeanny, my accident was caused by poor dirt road maintenance.
The larger rocks of the roadbed have been exposed
by the snowplow and I slipped sideways on one.

I'm an expert chair jockey after spending a few years in one, not electric.
The wheelchair was for my friend who broke his leg but didn't use the chair.
We hung out every day and I got so good I could stay on my
rear wheels indefinitely, even going off the curb into the street.

Now a hi power electric offroad wheelchair would be fun.

Back