Bicycle Build

Building the Trek Powerfly FS 5- I really like the integrated battery on this one.

Great design by Trek.

I was a bit intimidated by the joining at the head, but it's working well so far.
Still a bit of fine tuning needed to match the original.

Trek Head Join.jpg

Nice stuff Zoo! I used to freestyle and ramp BMX (had a blue max mongoose). Then I moved on to riding a skateboard for a few years. I'm sure I wouldn't even be able to stand on one these days.

I used to skateboard, then I moved to Cali and 5 year olds could do tricks
I couldn't do so I switched to skates. Before inline skates, they
where like sneakers with skates on them.

I really like your carefully done, clean work.

A website came to my mind, just because it's seemingly about bicycles, too (it's not, of course, it's all about perception). It's not even 3d but created with illustrator, and actually it doesn't have anything to do with your work shown here. You even know the lesson it has to teach, probably for decades. So I usually I wouldn't post it here in such a thread, but I think you'll still like it as much as myself: Velocipedia. (by the way, the people who have drawn those things aren't stupit at all. They were university students, physicians, even a professor). Have fun.

Very interesting. This is something I know well, having tried to model familiar things without a reference.

Recognition is easy, even when some parts are missing. But take away all the parts and suddenly you're filled with confusion.
Sort of like the first time I drank beer, I remember everything that happened but I couldn't tell you the order of events.
Drank a full pony keg, equivalent to a case. o_O

Looks very good.

Just one question: Is there a reason why you build those bolts or nuts (however they are called) into the mesh instead of using a seperate object (obviously I find it easier to create separate geo for everything that's seperate in real life (but at least the little stuff I keep in the same mesh)?

Thanks, only the big one is integral, all the smaller ones are separate.

I do have a tendency to over build and put in holes that won't
normally be seen just in case I want to do an exploded view.

But in this case I put the geometry in to make the
hole/pivot points but didn't actually make the holes.

Thank you for your answer. The tendency to over build I also have, but I made some progress and really think about it if something can be seen or not (but if the object can be reused then that's a good excuse to build the backside too ;))

Here's the results of testing to see if I could get the suspension
linkage to work first with Joints/Bones and then boneless. o_O

The swing arm is the only thing animated here.

bike-sus-bones.gif

bike-sus-boneless.gif

Last edited:
To do it boneless you need to add one more pivot point by way of a null object or folder.

When doing it with bones, that last pivot point is provided by the end of a bone.
A bone is made up of two joints, one joint is the pivot point or object center,
and the second is the pivot point for the next bone.

In this case it is pinned in place by the IK Handle Tags default Target folder.

So to clarify I used a Folder as a null object simply to locate the secondary pivot point,
and then added to that folder an IK Handle Tag. Pinning it in place with the tags Target Folder option.

Here's the boneless version.

Back