Bones problems & tutorial needed!

Hello,
I'm trying to understand how bones work by rigging a simple human shape. Following some basic tutorials, I made a simple rig but it doesn't seem very consistent -sometimes the bones bind to the mesh properly, and sometimes they do. In the picture below, I am showing how the bones bind to one arm but not the other...

In one picture (Bones 2) the bones are working OK - figure is bending from the waist as intended, and one arm is working properly. However you can see the skeleton on the other arm isn't bound, and that arm is following the movement of the first arm.

BTW I build this mesh with the SYMMETRY TAG - I just realize now that maybe this is why the other arm is mirroring? If that were the case, how can I mirror the mesh without the symmetry tag then?

Am wondering if there are other tutorials on BONES out there? If you know of some, please point me to it!

Thanks!

rgds/ RandyQ

Attachments

• Bones_1.png
    Bones_1.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Bones_2.png
    Bones_2.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 357
To use joints the modeling process needs to be finished - so the symmetry tag should be "baked" in by making the mesh editable; double click its icon in the object browser for instance to do so.

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank! That did it! But I wish there was a tutorial somewhere that tells us how to do this so I wouldn't have to ask this here.

rgds/ RandyQ

Attachments

• Bones_3.png
    Bones_3.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 337
Thanks Frank! That did it! But I wish there was a tutorial somewhere that tells us how to do this so I wouldn't have to ask this here.

rgds/ RandyQ
Hi RandyQ, no problem in asking as no tutorial can answer all questions concerning character rigging, it's a deep well.
I'm no expert but I have been testing various methods on and off for a few years, so ask away and we will all help if we can.

Back