Scripting Import into Cheetah3d from Face Cap

I loaded the provided FBX file with all morph targets intact:
FaceCapFBX.png

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Hi Frank !

Me too, loading the .fbx has no issues. The actual key frame values of the morph targets are provided via a .txt file which has to be loaded via a script - which is yet to be written for cheetah3d . It seems like morph tagets are not part of the FBX spec, since cheetah3d doesn't export them , am I right ?

I did a test with the sound loader / f-curve controller script duo and successfully matched sound generated morph target values , but didn't manage to export them - neither via .fbx nor .gltf to make them digestable food for Apple's "Reality Converter" .

By the way - .usdz or .reality export from Cheetah3d would be of greatest use (at least for me).

Last edited:
I mailed with Alexi Johansen, Dev of Face Cap and he insists on an export of "50 blendshape parameters with keyframe data and also animation for the head transform and the eyes." - So - this seens is an "import/export of key framed morph targets" issue for Cheetah3d - could that be ?

Last edited:
Well - the size of 4,8MB (was 2,9MB as binary) compared to the example FBX is 4,9MB and when imported back into Cheetah3d the morph-targets are alive. I don´t have another app that can handle these kind of FBX.

PS: the linked docu says:
  1. Export fbx: Selects the ascii-fbx format for exporting.

Last edited:
The screenshot of reply #2 shows this exact file ....
The head is animated and the morph-targets don´t contain any keyframes - just the fully functional morph-targets.

I´m surprised to be honest. Martin added this functionality to Collada files in 2012 (https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/8776/) so I thought it was about animation data. Seems I´m wrong. I have no clue why one just needs the morph.targets without keyframes. :unsure:
Baking IK in the Takes tab won´t work here either ....:sick:

Cheers
Frank

PS: from a quick test: recording Morph-tags won´t make it into the FBX file format. But I can´t say if it´s SDK based or Martin simply didn´t implement it.

Last edited:
I´m surprised to be honest. Martin added this functionality to Collada files in 2012 (https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/8776/) so I thought it was about animation data. Seems I´m wrong. I have no clue why one just needs the morph.targets without keyframes. :unsure:
Baking IK in the Takes tab won´t work here either ....:sick:

Cheers
Frank

PS: from a quick test: recording Morph-tags won´t make it into the FBX file format. But I can´t say if it´s SDK based or Martin simply didn´t implement it.

This whole Autodesk .fbx thing is a bloated mess, - a mon avis. There's reason why Apple soft- and hardware-optimizes on Pixars .usd.
By the way- did you sucessfully test exporting morph targets to Kronos .gltf ?

As it´s not yet a feature the wish-list forum might be the place. Title sounds just right to me. All the best.

Cheers from Hamburg
Frank

Back