Y SHAPED POLYGONS

Are you bored in any way?
Y-nGon.png

Frank, thanks again for your time and attention.
Must be my mistake, but I really thought this was a wish list of features that at some point would be read by Martin, that's all.

It is more complicated than that.

I already made that request direct to Martin e-mail in the past. Is a feature called T splines, (and not only Ts and Ys, but as many branches and angles and bevels and fillets you want) in a automated way.

To do that properly, controlling the curves between branches, now, to my knowledge, you have to work with multiple lofts.

Peace and evolution to all

M

Attachments

• parts.jpeg
    parts.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 354
  • YshapedLOFT.jpg
    YshapedLOFT.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 345
You can wish for whatever you want, but you're just screaming. Or is your shift key stuck?
From my knowledge T-Splines are only existing within NURBS modeller which Cheetah3d is not; it´s a subdivision modeller package.
And I don´t see anything I can´t do in Cheetah3d:
Y-shape.png

Ahahhahah I am not screamin , just typing. And my keyboard is probably fine. You are the guy who modeled that strange thing with camera in the horns? Yes you really can do anything in cheetah, congrats. Please go on. Ahahhahah

Y-shape branching has been a problem for me. It’s a basic natural form but I’ve never been satisfied with my attempts to model it. Neither box modeling nor sweeps were satisfactory. I like Frank’s result and tried to duplicate it

Y5.jpg

Start with an 8-sided cylinder.

Make editable. Polygon Mode: Cover four top polys and carefully pull them up with snapping set to Raster, up 4 over 2. Set Rotation step size to 15º and rotate 45º. Set Transform Orientation to Normal. Cover and pull again.

Repeat for the other four top polys.

Select top polys, apply Tool script “Make Circle.” (I had to “Adjust” to get rid of the twist.)

Repeat for the other four top polys.

Delete top and bottom polys, add Subdivision Modifier.

This technique is an improvement over my previous attempts, where I started with a cube instead of the 8-sided cylinder. But it still feels klunky and laborious, and Frank’s example is smoother, rounder, more symmetrical, and proportional. I’m sure his process must be more efficient.

Frank, can you please walk us through this, step-by-step, or maybe attach a file?

Thanks again.

FY.jpg

I’d forgotten Tuben für die Massen! Your detailed technique of starting from a ball makes perfect joints with fillets, given the tubes are aligned on a plane and radially symmetrical. Despite the instructions being written in some secret code the process is easily understood from the clear pictures, especially the animated gif. Very useful. Many thanks.

Per the original Wish List request, I agree that it would be a great addition to C3D to easily make organic branches, ideally a complex Sweep derived from branching splines, at various angles, with rounded-off joints. I only use C3D so I don’t know how other 3D apps might compare. I understand that splines, by definition, cannot branch, but maybe if there were Brines or Splanches?

More generally, I would welcome any new features that emulate organic structures such as branches, roots, veins and arteries, cells and bubbles. I love the aesthetics of natural materials like tar and gum that make stretched-out webs of tapered filaments. I have previously requested 3D voronoi structures “grown” from points in 3D space. I keep hoping that there are pre-existing open source solutions that can be adapted for C3D. Maybe a script?

* A useful alternative for bifurcations is the rigging of a Y-shaped object with bones / muscles. Apart from the normal rotational animation you can also increase / decrease the distance between joints for effects.
* For "biomorph" topologies (fibrations / bubbly clusters / etc) I found that the deployment of isoballs can create quite interesting topologies.
:p In any case, a day or two of brainstorming and experimentation is always good creative fun.

Screenshot 2020-04-11 at 14.36.02.png
Fibration 2.jpg

Fibration 4.jpg

Fibration 5.jpg

Servus from Vienna, EU

Back