Symmetry issue

Hi, I have a symmetry modifier attributed to this box.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.00.30 AM.png

When I move points/lines etc outward, I get the desired result based on the line of symmetry.
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.06.39 AM.png

However when I move the points or lines inward, I can see that it appears to be making a copy while retaining the original geometry.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.00.19 AM.png

Perhaps there's a setting I need to check/uncheck? Or something else?

Sorry for all these questions... still learning the basics.

When your objects respects the mirror axis; means they are not overlapping any axis you can use the Symmetry-Creator instead.
Otherwise: select all components (polygons/edges or points) and move them away from the mirror axis till you get the desired result.
But for further modelling: make sure your object´s mirror axis is at X/YZ=0,0

Cheers
Frank

Your object is centered on the axis you are mirroring around: I think what you're seeing here is that when you move the points toward the axis, you are exposing the unaltered side of the duplicate. Set an offset value large enough to separate the two boxes and then repeat the alteration. If you want to mirror along the axis, draw half your object.

Do you see that weird shading effect in the first image? That's common when you have two identical surfaces occupying the same coordinates.

Thanks MonkeyT - ok allow me to confirm:
1. create a box or any geometry
2. make editable
3. add symmetry modifier (choose axis as mirror line)
4. offset a specific distance: now I have two objects -- which I can see mirror one another. but what distance should they be so that the mirror line is on top of itself?
5. Boolean union the two parts?

Frank – thank you! I see now that there are two Symmetry tools; one is a modifier and one is a creator. I am unsure how to use the creator - do you make one first and then drop geometry or other object into it? Much appreciated.

*I am attempting to create a model of a digital thermometer

Last edited:
The creator will be established at Z,Y,Z=0,0 while the modifier will stick to the selected object wherever it is.
So when you´re after modelling along X,Y or Z-axis put in the Symmetry-Creator first then attache your editable object (corresponding axis assumed) and model "away".

Cheers
Frank

Hi northwoods

If delete half of your object then you can work in something like symmetry- or mirror-mode in other apps without having two overlapping objects.

Also, remember that you can manually relocate the pivot point of an object - you can re-locate the pivot point of the editable object to the axis plane or the origin to make it easier to manage its position numerically.

When you're done needing the symmetry capabilities, you can convert the object to a polygon and optimize it. If the points from both halves along your mirror plane are located exactly on top of each other, optimizing it will weld the halves together. Booleans can be used to merge the halves, but they aren't necessary.

Thanks All! Btw any good videos that can be recommended? I found a modest number on youtube but they are from many years ago. I'm hoping to find anything recent that shows modeling and animating from basics to intermediate level?

Back