Off Topic: Affinity Apps

I already have the desktop versions of Design and Photo. Both are amazing. Looks like it's time to pick up the iPad version of Photo. That should be very handy.

Thx.

I already had Photo and designer for the desktop and the iPad :( but I went ahead and bought Publisher, just to play with it and see if I find it useful later. It's quality stuff.

BTW I looove the stabilized pencil tool in designer for the iPad.. it works fantastic with the Apple pencil..

I already had Photo and designer for the desktop and the iPad :( but I went ahead and bought Publisher, just to play with it and see if I find it useful later. It's quality stuff.

Thinking very seriously about that one, but I do very little publishing work anymore. I guess that may change as the economy struggles.

Does anyone here have any experience with Affinity's workbooks? They look pretty comprehensive, and Photo works just differently enough than Photoshop that I occasionally struggle with it.

Does anyone here have any experience with Affinity's workbooks? They look pretty comprehensive, and Photo works just differently enough than Photoshop that I occasionally struggle with it.

Good question. I'd like to know too if they're any good, you´re right about Photo, it happens to me too, I'm constantly watching Youtube videos to learn the apps.

Good question. I'd like to know too if they're any good, you´re right about Photo, it happens to me too, I'm constantly watching Youtube videos to learn the apps.

I was surprised to find that there are actually a few Affinity videos specifically about touching up Cheetah3D renders.

I’ve been using Affinity’s Photo and Design fo desktop and ios since they were released (as you may know I periodically review Adobe substitutes because I hate subscription pricing).

They’re both solid products and do the job. The both have a ludicrous set of features. But they’re both very much built in Adobe’s mould — big, complex, kind of sluggish, with functionality hidden in odd nooks and crannies. Most of my bitmap-image-editing needs are met by Acorn, which seems like a product from the future compared with anything from Adobe or Serif. Acorn is up and productive while both of these are still showing you a loading screen.

I still haven’t found a vector editor I like as much as Illustrator, which itself never came close to the ease of use of the long-lamented Freehand.

I’ve been using Affinity’s Photo and Design fo desktop and ios since they were released (as you may know I periodically review Adobe substitutes because I hate subscription pricing).

They’re both solid products and do the job. The both have a ludicrous set of features. But they’re both very much built in Adobe’s mould — big, complex, kind of sluggish, with functionality hidden in odd nooks and crannies. Most of my bitmap-image-editing needs are met by Acorn, which seems like a product from the future compared with anything from Adobe or Serif. Acorn is up and productive while both of these are still showing you a loading screen.

I still haven’t found a vector editor I like as much as Illustrator, which itself never came close to the ease of use of the long-lamented Freehand.

Really? and here I was thinking that the Affinity apps were super fast at launching haha.. compared to Photoshop, or any Adobe app in any case. Adobe apps take a lifetime to be ready, I haven't used Acorn but I thought Photo and Designer were super fast.

I couldn't agree more about Freehand. I almost cried when Adobe bought Macromedia and killed it. :cry::LOL:

I do use illustrator, of course, and I agree, I prefer it to anything else (beside the price). In contrast, affinitiy designer for ipad, with which I never did much work, seems still unfinished. Freehand was great, back then, but some 15 years ago, Corel draw was in many ways ahead of it's time, as was corel photo (the last versions I had were corel suite 13). Corel had a tracer long before Illustrator (and it was very good). Around version 11 or so, corel photo's ability to cut out complex objects was way above anything you could do with photoshop or similar apps. I don't know how good they are today (after cs2 or so, I preferred adobe). But in addition to adobe I kept corel and photoimpact around for a long time in addition to the creative suite (which never was professional software but you could do a few things faster with it than with ps and it had some filters the equivalent of it came much later to ps).

So, in my opinion, it's never wrong to have some different apps which should do roughly the same things, but each of them has it's strengths (and weaknesses). So it's never really wrong to use additional apps as long as you really do enough work with it.

I think Design is described as almost feature-complete with the desktop app, but I know from many years of observing iOS app development that their tools are not nearly so discoverable as they are in interfaces that rely on a mouse/trackpad. That's one reason I asked about the Workbook. Not having a cursor that can hover over an item which triggers the display of a label or option list makes it really hard to design apps with serious complexity, and to learn such details without LOTS of trial and error.

The cursor situation in iOS may have changed this week.

Acorn is up and productive while both of these are still showing you a loading screen.
Hi Pod I hope you and yours are well.
The only thing about Acorn is there is no preserve alpha button like in Affinity Photo.
You have to add an image mask to do this AFAIK in Acorn.
Where as in Affinity Photo you can preserve alpha with a dedicated button.
If I have missed this function in Acorn, Please enlighten me.

In general, Acorn’s alpha tools are weak, I agree.

Affinity stuff is faster than Adobe and doesn’t phone home but Acorn is in another class, apeedwise.

Back