New to Cheetah3D - Using it for master thesis. Help!

Because of the "repetitive " character of the building and Cheetah3d´s array+instancing tool-set you just need to model 1 window, 1 pillar 1etc:
single.jpg
Array.jpeg

But regarding your goal application you probably want just to texture the facades.

Cheers
Frank

Oh i understand. So i might be able to just photoshop some real life images of the real building and paste it as a texture on the model?

* Oslo Rådhus is a prime example of repetition in architecture (and of instancing in 3D modelling). Basically there are 4 intersecting cuboid building blocks with holes. Such holes are covered by a small set of identical panels.
* Once you have determined the grid used by the architects in the X, Y and Z axes you just generate and poulate a particle mesh by numbers, where a number is a placeholder for a type of cladding panel.
* In my simplified sample I used 5 different panels. I estimate that 12 should suffice for the entire building.

* Extensive refs, eg Schøning, Trond L.: Det norske hus (PDF), hovedoppgave i kunsthistorie, UiB 2001 are available. I am sure you are aware of this publication.

* It is mentioned that the architects used bricks slightly larger than the standard of the 1930s. Clearly, the brick sizes must fit the grid size used. You need a precise mesh of the offsets at the edges for a clean tiling.

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 08.06.04.png

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 08.08.15.png

* Oslo Rådhus is a prime example of repetition in architecture (and of instancing in 3D modelling). Basically there are 4 intersecting cuboid building blocks with holes. Such holes are covered by a small set of identical panels.
* Once you have determined the grid used by the architects in the X, Y and Z axes you just generate and poulate a particle mesh by numbers, where a number is a placeholder for a type of cladding panel.
* In my simplified sample I used 5 different panels. I estimate that 12 should suffice for the entire building.

* Extensive refs, eg Schøning, Trond L.: Det norske hus (PDF), hovedoppgave i kunsthistorie, UiB 2001 are available. I am sure you are aware of this publication.

* It is mentioned that the architects used bricks slightly larger than the standard of the 1930s. Clearly, the brick sizes must fit the grid size used. You need a precise mesh of the offsets at the edges for a clean tiling.

View attachment 35638

View attachment 35639
Thank you so much for the reply Helmut, and wow, amazing what you guys can do just to reply on a post, really appreciated. Also, I have not seen that thesis, and I cant believe you found it?! Same with Franks findings of the blueprints, I cant thank you enough. Now, when it comes to the issue of using these blueprints, and by only learning one technique which was creating one box then "inner extrude" and "extrude" for shaping length, width, height, roofs and windows. I also learned some information about UV mapping, and I am pretty familiar with Photoshop, so I go the basic gist of how to work with textures and UB (except i forgot how to scale textures with transform tool in c3d). The usage of particle mesh I have not yet experienced, it only shows up as a blank canvas which i cant find a way to control or respond. Under I will post a more updated post on how I am doing with my building. Edit: I just now searched for particle mesh on this forum and found yours on "spiral case for newbies", I will look into posts like these, if there are any more posts like this that you can think of on top of your head I would appreciate it. Seeing as the post that supposedly contains a mash of tutorials are really outdated.

Last edited:
I´ve tried to the gif Frank made me and the blueprints that was both used by Frank and ZooHead. I found that the blueprint was a little crooked and when trying to use the point mode which you used in the gif Frank, I saw that the building was crooked, when furthering developing my building i saw that when trying to use ring cut the discrepancy was obvious. I then just followed three of the sides to make an equal rectangle and then made my cuts. When using ring cut it seems that it really messes up the triangles in my polygon when spectating in "wireframe" is this an issue? I was thought that this may be an issue, but i dont know. I cant really see how i can just paste textures made out of realistic photographs and pasting them on, and at the same time create this three dimensional depth required by all the details in the front of the building. I have also tried to "split" the front polygon and making ring cuts with the front blueprint in "top view" and style in "wireframe" to make cuts that will include the framework/porch/windows, but it seems as if i am loosing material to build with by splitting, but it also helps that ring cut only goes on that selected area. Indeed, I am struggling to finding the best possible way to create these details that will highlight the 3D aspect of it all.

Under I will post my building and I am always glad to hear your guys opinion on it, even though you are way ahead of me and i understand the frustration that may come with me being 5 hours into the program. But I am hooked. And I wish to create an application that precedes any of the previous modelling work done by my students. In the last photo I was hoping to make windows and framing by using the "inner extrude" and cutting away edges, but this was too much work, and with little profit.

Attachments

• Foran2.png
    Foran2.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Bak2.png
    Bak2.png
    176 KB · Views: 223
  • Side2.png
    Side2.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 236
  • DetailedFront.png
    DetailedFront.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 236
* Yep, the architects used the old Norse / Viking version of a rectangle, which looks close enough but is not quite orthogonal :unsure::rolleyes::mad:
* If you get stuck in your project, I suggest that you upload the primary building volumes you have developed at this stage. Frustration and thinking in circles is no fun.

* If we can use your existing cuboid blocks as constructors, the next steps of modelling (which is mainly polulating the mesh with the various panels of the facade elements) should be a quantum leap to an almost complete model of the town hall.
* As mentioned above, this is largely a somewhat complex particle mesh of "prefabricated" identical panels stuck to cuboid prisms.

Back