tickmarks on clockface

jomert

Greetings, I'm a new member, new to Cheetah3D and newby to animation in general . . . first post (gulp). Wanted to start by making a simple geometry like a clock face with tapered mesh objects for hourly tick marks. Made the object OK, but now working with a ring modifier each tic mark is standing soldier style (like stonehinge) instead of orientation pointing to center and rotation controls don't seem to lay them flat. Intending to put this on a circle spline. Also, I'm wanting to control material texture differently for each tic mark. Looking at array, particle, ring modifiers but they seem to treat all as a single unified group. First, how can I rotate the objects 90 degrees so all point small end to center, and then how to control each tic mark separately as an individual object? Thanks, grateful for the Cheetah forum community
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 3.10.21 PM.png

Not at a Mac right now-but you have to rotate the original object to a certain axis and the "ringed" objects will follow along.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, for the quick reply; I changed to the z axis and got closer with the proper orientation but have distorted proportions on all tics except 3:00 and 9:00 o'clock marks. No hurry, whenever you get toyour mac is OK / thanks again

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 4.01.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 4.01.41 PM.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 268
Well, 'spoke too soon; that's the precise operation I want, just can't quite get there yet. Only way I can get that wireframe object in the center is selecting polygons, then their faces distort when rotated

That is because you scaled your main object which is now no longer 1:1:1. You can use the coord-system to make a reset.

Cheers
Frank

When you make the hierarchy editable, you can assign different materials to different polygon selections, via drag&drop in 3d editor view; make polygon selection and drag material from browser onto it in 3d editor.

Cheers
Frank

Yes, that's what I need. Thanks! Other than that, though, I'm mostly lost. Would you please offer suggestions on how the above was created?

Back