Soft Body Dynamics Testing

Here's a screenshot of manual manipulation of an object with a Soft Body Tag.

I'm actually manipulating the object it's anchored to.

For this you need a long take as the Dynamics are only on when an animation is running.

Here's a rendered gif.

softbodytest01.gif

I've been trying to use dynamics for jiggly parts on characters, but it's a little hard to control and unpredictable.

I've been trying to use dynamics for jiggly parts on characters, but it's a little hard to control and unpredictable.
It is a little hinkey.

For instance if I want a big jiggly belly, how do I preserve the bellybutton?

Can I use soft selection for the anchor points to get the jiggly effect to taper off closer to the anchor points?

There´s an outstanding script by Todd from 2009 with kind of weird naming, because Cheetah3d didn´t has a Physics Engine at that time: https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/4334/
But what it does just with a few lines of code was simply stunning. My compressed little exercise .mov still could be downloaded and watched though.
Unfortunately the 2 scripts won´t work anymore due some experimental code. Not sure if it could be revitalised.

Cheers
Frank

It is a little hinkey.

For instance if I want a big jiggly belly, how do I preserve the bellybutton?

Can I use soft selection for the anchor points to get the jiggly effect to taper off closer to the anchor points?
Yeah, I think I requested that at some point. A selection set would be awesome with a few other tweaks would make it an easy to use solution for jiggly bits on characters.

Also, weighting parameters for the stiffness or looseness of the jiggle. I think dynamics has that now, but I'm not clear on what all the options actually do.

Bob

There´s an outstanding script by Todd from 2009 with kind of weird naming, because Cheetah3d didn´t has a Physics Engine at that time: https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/4334/
But what it does just with a few lines of code was simply stunning. My compressed little exercise .mov still could be downloaded and watched though.
Unfortunately the 2 scripts won´t work anymore due some experimental code. Not sure if it could be revitalised.

Cheers
Frank
That script was ahead of it's time.

Yeah, I think I requested that at some point. A selection set would be awesome with a few other tweaks would make it an easy to use solution for jiggly bits on characters.

Also, weighting parameters for the stiffness or looseness of the jiggle. I think dynamics has that now, but I'm not clear on what all the options actually do.

Bob
I know what you mean, the Stiffness parameter is there and Pressure seems straight forward, but for Lift so far I have no idea.
Just gotta keep trying stuff.

I did some testing:
PARAMETERS-
  • The "belly" as a separate object split from my character mesh Mr. MacMurphy.
  • The belly is anchored around its perimeter to the character mesh with an Anchor Tag.
  • Of course the Soft Body Tag is also on the belly object.
RESULTS-
  • The belly object pulls away from the mesh it's anchored to. (not sure why anchors don't stay put)
  • Materials look different.
CONCLUSION-
  • Using a separate object for the belly doesn't work.
  • Test another method such as- Selecting all points except the belly and anchoring them. (works in preliminary test)

Here's a test to see how much the anchor points move and it proves there is some built in flex.
Just look how much the points move, and how far down the line the flex occurs.

But what if the anchor points did not move and instead you could use the
soft selection to taper the effect off in front of the anchor point selection.
Because the object gets thicker, it shouldn't flex so much at the
connection point but maybe further along where it gets narrower.

I did some tests a while ago, but they seemed to have vanished!

This was a water effect I was playing around with. Sort of on topic...

Bob

Attachments

• Soft Body Ancher-TEST.jas.zip
    56.2 KB · Views: 291
Back