Official Apple USDZ Converter

Apple released this 3 days ago, so now we have a Official Apple USDZ Converter with nice drag and drop workflow

Introducing Reality Converter
January 13, 2020
The new Reality Converter app makes it easy to convert, view, and customize USDZ 3D objects on Mac. Simply drag-and-drop common 3D file formats, such as .obj, .gltf and .usd, to view the converted USDZ result, customize material properties with your own textures, and edit file metadata. You can even preview your USDZ object under a variety of lighting and environment conditions with built-in IBL options.

To use USDZ converter you will need at least macOS 10.15 Catalina

Download Reality Converter beta Official Apple USDZ converter

If Catalina is not an option then Blender has a decent USDZ import/export plugin
https://github.com/robmcrosby/BlenderUSDZ

Any chance ash72 frank beckmann Shift Studio pegot Please can you guys share your step by step workflow to animate the USDZ with physics and dynamics etc with cheetah3d

Last edited:
GLTF is a fantastic file format for content delivery while USDZ seems to be complete overkill for what Apple is using it. So it's great to see that Apple no longer completely ignores glTF. I just don't understand why they didn't build their glTF loader straight into macOS. So that XCode and other apps could use it too. :rolleyes:

Don't know about the export part but maybe I can help with the dynamics animation.

Set up a simulation, if you need help with that let me know.
Open the dynamics preferences and click Bake Simulation.
Once you do that the animation is running on the cached/baked info,
not the dynamics, so you can then scrub the timeline forward and backwards.

If you want to dump the cache, rewind to frame one first.
then you're back to dynamics.

I hope that was helpful.

GLTF is a fantastic file format for content delivery while USDZ seems to be complete overkill for what Apple is using it. So it's great to see that Apple no longer completely ignores glTF. I just don't understand why they didn't build their glTF loader straight into macOS. So that XCode and other apps could use it too. :rolleyes:

GLTF loader? I believe I am having some issues with this thing right now I cannot drag GLTF files into reality converter for some strange reason (works on other computer)

I see this error

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 20.41.00.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 20.41.00.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Hi,
I've just tested it on my Mac with Reality Converter Beta 2 and it worked fine. Did you use the latest version of Cheetah3D and Reality Converter?

Bye
Martin
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 17.57.06.jpg

Back