Drag to select multiple objects

I have a scene with a grid of over 900 rotating ball objects and I have to apply various settings to each row and each column. At the moment it is taking me hours to manually click on each object whilst holding shift. How can I drag a box around multiple objects to select them all at once?

Thanks for any advice.

That is not possible; just cmd-click to add and subtract from selection in 3d-view or shift/cmd-click in Object browser to select/deselect single object/s or a row/list of objects.
How do you generate these 900 objects if I may ask?

Cheers
Frank

I made 32, put them in a folder and made 32 folders. It is to show how rotating vectors can make spatial frequencies.

1578480505597.png

Another thing I wondered - can you apply position and rotation settings to multiple objects simultaneously? If I shift select multiple balls and apply a rotation setting, it seems that only the last object selected is affected by the setting.

I'm using 7.2.1.
Thanks Frank. That model looks very similar to the effect I need, however my model needs to use balls because I have to change the orientation of each ball individually. It is basically intended to be a physical representation of the k-space of an image. I will have a play with particle meshes and see what happens!

No idea if this suits your project
* I use a 10x10 grid as a base for a sorted particle mesh
* there are 11 spherical elements
* for the leftmost row I have applied the black / white materials, the others are just dummy colours
* animate the 1st row to rotate as required
* copy & paste the F-curves to the subsequent rows and modify the rotational angles

:unsure: it may be simpler to have a 9x9 grid and 10 rows of spheres. Otherwise switch the type to polygons.
:rolleyes: you can then shift the animation by 36° on each successive row

Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 12.58.18.png

Attachments

• RotatingBalls.jas.zip
    166.5 KB · Views: 223
Helmu
No idea if this suits your project
* I use a 10x10 grid as a base for a sorted particle mesh
* there are 11 spherical elements
* for the leftmost row I have applied the black / white materials, the others are just dummy colours
* animate the 1st row to rotate as required
* copy & paste the F-curves to the subsequent rows and modify the rotational angles

:unsure: it may be simpler to have a 9x9 grid and 10 rows of spheres. Otherwise switch the type to polygons.
:rolleyes: you can then shift the animation by 36° on each successive row

View attachment 35410
Thanks Helmut - that is a genius solution - I hadn't thought about being able to copy and paste f curves etc. Thanks very much.

* You are welcome. Glad to have been of help.
* As you correctly analysed, I am a lower case GENIUS. Even :sick: genius or even :poop: genius would have sufficed.
* Good fun with your project!
Servus from Vienna, AT, EU

* Just in case:
* Note that in numeric C3D fields in most panels you can use the basic operators (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). Editing the start & end angles for the subsequent rows of balls is thus quite easy. As mentioned, you just add 36°, 72°, etc to the rotational params.

Back