Does your Mac support Metal (Apples new 3D API)?

Does your GPU support Metal?

• No, it doesn't support Metal.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Yes, it supports macOS GPUFamily1 v1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it supports macOS GPUFamily1 v2

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Yes, it supports macOS GPUFamily1 v3

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Yes, it supports macOS GPUFamily1 v4

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Yes, it supports macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Votes: 26 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I upgraded my MacPro5,1 (2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) to use a Radeon RX 580 and it now supports Metal (GPUFamily2 v1)

The poll is closed now. Thank you very much to everybody who participated. That really helped me to get an idea about the currently used hardware in the Cheetah3D user base. I actually expected much more non-Metal compatible Macs out there.

I have picked up a 2012 13" MacBook Pro, running Mojave, with an Intel HD 4000 supporting GPU Family1 v4. At last I can use Cheetah3D in Dark Mode:D

I've heard rumors of this for a while, but I guess it's actually happening. Thanks for the link. I wonder if the 2019 Mac Pro's will stay on Xeon's though?
Hey Swizl, I haven't read the full article yet but one thing in the tag states that the "Transition will be gradual, start with less-powerful computers..."

Hey Swizl, I haven't read the full article yet but one thing in the tag states that the "Transition will be gradual, start with less-powerful computers..."
That does make sense and thanks for the input. I'd expect a big move like that to take several years. Just curious if ARM could even eventually technically replace something like a Xeon. Not that I can afford a Mac Pro 2019 any time soon! :ROFLMAO:

I use a 2019 15" MacBook Pro with 2.3 GHz Intel Core i9 processor, Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB graphics card, and 32GB of RAM. Running macOS 10.14.6 with no plans to upgrade to 10.15 any time soon.

Here's what it says about Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

I just updated my Hackintosh (7 year old machine!) to Catalina. Using an old NVIDIA 770 which is Metal supported and works great. Many of the old 600 /700 series NVIDIA cards are still natively supported in Mac. I also just added a used AMD Radeon 16gb Vega Frontier Edition, which also seems to work very well and is Metal supported. So far the NVIDIA and AMD cards appear to be working fine together. The AMD is running headless.

I just updated my Hackintosh (7 year old machine!) to Catalina. Using an old NVIDIA 770 which is Metal supported and works great. Many of the old 600 /700 series NVIDIA cards are still natively supported in Mac. I also just added a used AMD Radeon 16gb Vega Frontier Edition, which also seems to work very well and is Metal supported. So far the NVIDIA and AMD cards appear to be working fine together. The AMD is running headless.

Wow, that's a nice setup. I was on the fence years ago about getting a MacPro5,1 and upgrading it or going the Hack route. My wife convinced me to just go with the Apple Tower. The biggest issues are it's power consumption and heat output. It gets really hot during the summer. I have an 8Gb Nvidia GTX 1080 FE in it, so I'm stuck on High Sierra. I've thought about maybe pulling the GTX out and putting it in a eGPU and then putting an RX580 in it so I can go to Mojave. But I think it's probably too much effort and $ at this point. Mulling over selling the tower and still doing a Hack tower.

Back