Gin Bottle

Hey thanks, both renders here were made with different HDRI maps from HDRI haven. I added a render tag for the bottles, unchecking "visible in shadows" except for the bottle without the rubber sleeve in the first render.

Looking good! I'm curious if you've ever seen a label printed in such way that you had to look through the liquid to see it? Or your own idea?
For the last render (yellow bottle is tilted) the perspective seen on the left and right-most caps is a bit of a put off to me (but I'm on the fence somewhat)
--shift studio.

Last edited:
Looking good! I'm curious if you've ever seen a label printed in such way that you had to look through the liquid to see it? Or your own idea?

Not my idea, there's a bottle of gin I modeled this after, of course with a different label. But I've seen this also in many shampoo bottles :)

For the last render (yellow bottle is tilted) the perspective seen on the left and right-most caps is a bit of a put off to me (but I'm on the fence somewhat)
--shift studio.

Of course you're right, it's the distortion I have to be very careful with when I use a wide angle lens in photography. In this case I was going after the "hero" feel hehe.. looking up to the bottles with a wide angle. It works very well if the subject is in the center of the frame, and it gets distorted like this as you move to the sides.

I like the composition, the colors and the lighting; very nice background, too. The black closure (or whatever you call that in English) is convincingly modeled, i. e. not too regular. And the bottles have a nice, believable form.

I have never seen some bottles with rubber around it (nor the label printed this way. But you already explained that one). Do those rubber bottles actually exist or are they your idea?

Some crits: You should look out more for the 'black stuff' in your renders. It's even there in the last one. It's not possible to get rid of it in Cheetah (only to a certain degree), but as it is, it would be quite easy to hide.

The second crit is that the bottles look empty to me.

I like the composition, the colors and the lighting; very nice background, too. The black closure (or whatever you call that in English) is convincingly modeled, i. e. not too regular. And the bottles have a nice, believable form.

I have never seen some bottles with rubber around it (nor the label printed this way. But you already explained that one). Do those rubber bottles actually exist or are they your idea?

Hello @Hasdrubal thank you for your comments. The bottle exists, search for 7 Sins gin in google and you'll see the original bottle. Of course I created a different label to post here.

Some crits: You should look out more for the 'black stuff' in your renders. It's even there in the last one. It's not possible to get rid of it in Cheetah (only to a certain degree), but as it is, it would be quite easy to hide.

The second crit is that the bottles look empty to me.

I'm intrigued, what is the "black stuff"? feel free to edit the render to point it out to me..

The bottle is empty lol.. I never created the liquid. I guess it's just a matter of duplicating the interior polygons, scale down a tiny bit and closing the hole in the neck, I might give it a try.

@joel ruiz c
Never have seen that bottle but you recreated it very well.

Black Stuff:

render17 firma-XL_example.jpg

This is coming from the ray depth, and as the max still is 32, you can't get rid of it, at least not fully. In the upper part of the right bottle, it could be just a reflection from the bottom.

The same thing still is visible in your last render, which easily can be avoided if you just change the camera angle a tiny bit (even if it is a reflection, I would get rid of it):

render24-XL_example.jpg

Of course you can test if it's just a reflection from the cap, but to me it looks plain wrong (you could change the color of the cap for the test render and look if the bottom still is black).

I still think with a higher ray depth Falcon could produce much better glass (the price would be a hefty render time), but to be fair, there are lots of renderers around that can't do convincing glass. Anyway, in cases like this it doesn't really matter where it comes from and it's not really worth it to try to get a better result out of Cheetah or even with renderers that have more ray depth available. Like I said, I just would change the camera angle a tiny bit (with that and a little 'punch' in post the last one would be a great render).

Gotcha, I wasn't too concerned about the black thing, I know it's a limitation of the renderer. I added as much transparency samples as possible (32 I think?). I'm not convinced about the way falcon renders glass anyway, I'm more concerned about refractive caustics, they don't look very good to me (not in this case, I'm not using them).

I think cheetah needs more materials, more nodes in the material editor, SSS, and a long list I guess, but it's still fun to try and do things with what there is :)

Back