Understanding UVs

Ive made good progress with the modelling tools but I'm really struggling with mapping images using UVs.
I understand the basic principles but not much more, the relationship between the UV window and UV mapper, the reason for UV coordinates etc.

Ive tried the pig tutorial but it doesn't seem to work in the way I expect.

It would be great if anyone can suggest any other tutorials which might help.

Thanks.

HI Frank

Thanks for getting back. Ive attached to elements of a plane im trying to create. While I can map an image onto it crudely I'm finding it hard to control how it appears. Any help appreciated. Adrian

Attachments

• sample.zip
    139.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I know this isn´t what you´re expecting as an instruction:
First I try to set 1 seam at the bottom of the plane and 1 for the "nose" - after unwrapping I mainly tried to find straight lines, selecting these (loop selection helps) in 3d view - convert selection to points scale down to make the really straight and pin UVs before unwrapping again:
You can select these seams&pinned UVs via context menu. Hopefully you get the idea:
AirPlane.gif

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• sample4U.jas.zip
    149 KB · Views: 219
Thanks Frank, i will see if i can do that :)

So from there I could export, say the plane body UV as a pdf and import it into say Gimp. I would then need to create an image to match the UV, I'm thinking it might be tricky to get the planes decal to match the UV and map correctly but Ill give it a go.

Thanks again

Thanks Frank that really helps, I hadn't realised that view was possible, I'll work through your suggestions and see how far I get!

Back