Shot Glasses

I was so impressed by Joel C Ruiz's gorgeous "Light Refraction" shot, I decided to go back to a layout I was working on last week (where I basically threw what I know at the wall to see what would stick) cranked the sample numbers and clamping higher than I would have dared, and let it render overnight. C3D usually lets you find a good balance between noise and render time, but when you can let it run wild it does some pretty amazing work. (For the 1840x1280 render, it ran for 10,747 seconds and 1000spp)

C3D Shots Raw.jpg

The necklace was a Chain I placed by hand. I tried to use the physics engine, but wound up with beads falling halfway through the table top. I ended up cloning the curve to create four different, slightly tweaked collection of beads - one for each color and a set of very small beads for the string itself ( I think I should replace that last one with a skinny tube, but it barely shows). I'd like to flood the table background with random piles of necklaces, tokens and confetti, so if you have suggestions, I'd be grateful. I haven't done much work with the physics engine and such yet.

Even with the improved render the longish runtime gave me, I still ran the final image through my favorite cleanup utility, CK Noiseless Pro. It's not expensive, and it and the Falcon renderer are a match made in heaven. (touched up samples below)

C3D Noiseless clip.jpgC3D Shots.jpg

Wow! I would have almost thought that was a real photo. Probably just because real objects have some scuffs and imperfections.

I had a girlfriend back in college that transferred to the University of New Orleans. So I used to go down there a lot. Crazy city.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

That looks great! I'm glad you found my thread interesting. I'm currently rendering yet another version but I'm thinking I'll let it render until it is noise free or I get tired of waiting lol.. right now it is at 103K SPP @ 700x600px, it's been running for 30.6K seconds. It looks ok right now, you can clearly see the paths of the light as it's being refracted and reflected, I just want to see if I can get a noise free render.

For this scene I disabled adaptive sampling, it could go on forever but I have to use the computer for other stuff lol (lightroom hates running along anything else other than the finder lol)

Back