Bevel in boolean seams

My testing shows Stam Loop does not turn all tris to quads like Catmull Clark.
It will make clusters of smaller tris. Very interesting.

I haven't used Sam Loop much, the few times I tried it it didn't seem to affect the final shape differently from Catmull Clark so I kept using the later, but that's an interesting find.

Stam-Loop subdivision is great for making triangulated spheres from icosahedrons. These can be split in half to make Buckminster Fuller domes.
sl-icosahedron.png

I think it was Zoohead who posted a couple of tutorials (animated gifs) where he Stam-Loop subdivided a six-sided disk to produce, first, a mesh of equilateral triangles, and then a mesh of hexagons. I’ve used the technique a lot. I failed to find them by searching, maybe he can post a link to the original tutorials.

I remember that. As a mater of fact I just did that to make the hex background but I used Catmull Clark this time.
I totally forgot it preserved tris. :rolleyes:

I'll see if I can find that tutorial.
Skew a grided plane to make diamonds,
then select all edges, catmull clark it to make the hex,
then you can delete the previously selected edges. :unsure:

Some steps may be omitted. :unsure:

The two most effective ways to convey useful information on the forum is to attach pictures and files. Many of us have designed tips and tutorials this way to make it easy for users to save and sort them into folders for future reference. Attached are two animated gifs that I think Zoohead made (correct me if I’m wrong) that I couldn’t find on the forum so I am taking the liberty of re-posting them here. They do something original and beautiful and deserve to be re-introduced for the benefit of everyone who wasn’t around the first time. Once you check them out their usefulness will be apparent.

Thanks to Zoohead or whoever made these. Please add the links that eluded me to get full credit for your contribution and maybe to include related information from that thread.

Edit:
Thanks Frank:
https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/12409/post-107180
Thanks Zoohead:
https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/12409/post-107197

hex grid.gif

hex grid 2.gif

Last edited:
Back