Bevel in boolean seams

Instead of doing all the cleaning up to maintain "all-quads" for the subdiv-modifier (stam-loop might be a better choice) I´d model it from scratch anyway.
You´ve introduced non-proportional scaling which cause issues with the bevel- or inner-extrude tools.
What I´ve done is deleting the the inner cylinder and take a parametric one with rounded edges.
Selecting depth polygons and the back-half and delete. Try to eliminate tris where-ever you spot them with weld tool, use point-slide to maintain edge flow. Used symmetry to get back back with gap to close the parts with bridge tool.
Hope you get the idea.
beats4U.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Beats4U.jas.zip
    82.6 KB · Views: 222
I think I understand what @frank beckmann did from his explanation, pretty straight forward (delete the inner or depth face completely and the back half in order to use the symmetry tool, clean up the topology maintaining the shape as much as possible (point slide) and bridge. @ZooHead I don't know how you got from the initial state of the object, to the first step in your gif, the inner face has a modification.. how did you do that?

Hi Joel, first I used Inner Extrude on the inner face polygons. Then Copy, Paste and Split it to make it a separate object.
Then I used a Boolean Subtraction to trim some of the polygons from the main object.
Then I merge the main object with the inner face and use the bridge tool to join them.
Clean up the geometry the best you can and add the Subdivision Modifier set to Stam Loop.

Last edited:
I couldn't help playing with this one a little more.

With a little variation on Joel Ruiz's cool wireframe background panel.
Did you use the PBR shader on it because it gives a blacker background?

I used the Mirror tool to make the "b" into a "p".

PeatsLogo.jpg

I couldn't help playing with this one a little more.

With a little variation on Joel Ruiz's cool wireframe background panel.
Did you use the PBR shader on it because it gives a blacker background?

I used the Mirror tool to make the "b" into a "p".

Hey guys nice to see you playing with this thing. I need to up my modeling skills for sure, I will check some hard surface modeling videos.

I used the PBR shader to get used to it since I feel it might be developed further in C3D? probably? I think there's a lot of room for growth in the shader construction area (nodes).

Here's my try with the bevel, but I think the topology is not very clean :(

That would be a long process, but well worth the effort even if you don't do the whole thing.
Start with letters you know you can use, and add one at a time as you need new ones.

I used a new method here. I made two Booleans, one normal and one with the "J" slightly larger to accommodate the bevel zone.
Then take the inner face from the normal one and bridge it to the cut back one. Still some of cleanup needed to get to this stage.

I also started with a Cube with a SubDivision Modifier and a Spherify Modifier. The trick is to scale the cube to flatten into the "pill shape".

I should do a tutorial for the heck of it.

J pill mesh.jpg

A tutorial, or even just a screen capture video would be great! I like your new method but I don't understand it fully.

Here's another shot. This shot really shows how amazing Cheetah is.
I've got n-gons and tris with no problems, except in the "Bevel Zone"- only quads there.
Look at the coarse center section and the fine bevel zone playing nice together.

J pill mesh 02.jpg

Yes, C3D works nice with tris and n-gons for sure.

For this kind of thing it works great, but still I would try to do a proper topology with quads only just to parctice and learn how to solve converting tris and n-gons to quads.

Back