Smooth Selection

I use Command + control + mouse wheel zoom to visually adjust the Transform Tool fall-off radius.

I switch to the Select Tool to precisely set the fall-off radius, then back to the Transform Tool to push them up or down.

2.jpg

I use Command + control + mouse wheel zoom to visually adjust the Transform Tool fall-off radius.

I switch to the Select Tool to precisely set the fall-off radius, then back to the Transform Tool to push them up or down.

View attachment 35090
Yep, I do it the same way. I wish these settings were also available in the Move/Transform form palette.

I LOVE this "tool",how come I didn't know this? :rolleyes:

But it would be even greater if it would take the distance of the connected points along the mesh in account.

For example: if I want to adjust an upper lip without interfering with the lower lip of a character (with almost closed mouth)...
hope this is clear and makes sense.

* As mentioned above, the soft selection works with multiple points. :eek: Any of the originally selected "primary" points can be deselected. :oops: C3D automatically seems to delete the associated soft selected points.
* I also guess that in such a case of detailed and subtle fine-tuning the brush tool may be the better choice. You have 3 parameters at your disposal which allows to tailor the sculpting quite finely. You can also tweak the fall-off curve where the default sinoidal smoothness is not useful.

* Soft Selection + Normal Move
* An additional point to consider:
* Bear in mind that a single normal move (image 2) and a series of consecutive normal moves (image 3) result in different topologies.
* In the 1st case points move along straight (and parallel) lines, in the 2nd case they travel along "curves with corners" which are radial.
* Anybody curious may do some experiments. :mad: This dynamic is impossible to explain.

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 15.16.59.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 15.17.28.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 15.18.04.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 16.19.07.png

* For newbies: For the X shaped subsections shown above perform a linear subdiv followed by a triangulated subdiv.

Last edited:
* As Frank points out, deselecting individual points of a single point soft selection is not possible.
* However, you can reduce / increase the selection between subsequent steps of a transformation. Obviously, you can alter the direction of any transformation deployed in subsequent steps.
* I am working with biomorph topologies most of the time and have found few problems which can´t be solved with imagination and careful planning.
* I only use C3D and Rhino (which I assume not to be a direct competitor to the C3D application due to its cost / NURBS basics) and can not comment on the tools available in other applications. I am also aware that my modelling needs are fairly specific and can´t be translated to any general level.

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 18.13.27.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 18.14.32.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 18.17.26.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 18.18.32.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 18.20.39.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 18.27.47.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure this isn't possible, but does anyone know if I can use the soft selection and only select adjacent and connected points?
Similar to what filip and Frank are discussing above I guess. I would also like the brush tool and vertex weight paint tools to do this. I guess its time for another wish list post.
--shift studio

The wishlist is the only option right now.
BTW; Silo has a neat feature with its brush tool where you can smooth out - kinda relax feature - overlapping UVs by painting/stamping over these areas. I'd add it to a feature request regarding optional smooth selection connected points.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Back