Smooth Selection

* This only works in point mode and is an essential tool for any gradual transformations of a mesh.

1 Select a point.
2 Use the available parameters for finetuning the tool (experimentation is mandatory).
3 Use the Ctrl-key + mouse scroll for expanding / contracting the activated point cloud.

* Edit the resulting point cloud via the transform gadget or with normal move commands.
* Use point record for any animation of the morphing.

SoftSel #1.png

SoftSel #2.png

SoftSel #3.png

SoftSel #4.png

SoftSel #5.png

* Direct soft selection is also available with the Brush tool.
* This is a quite powerful and flexible sculpting tool.
* Parameters are similar, but the transformations are defined by the modalities selectable in the tool panel.

Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 18.38.08.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 18.38.08.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 18.38.08.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 350
I wish there were different types of fall off of the soft selection, I remember Silo had a few and they were very useful.

Can´t say I made anytime use of "Spherical" over "Surface"? I literally see no difference. You?

Cheers
Frank

I must admit that I haven't used soft selection a lot in C3D, but I recently have been trying it and the fixed fall off is a bit limiting. I wish there were basic fall offs like these:

Captura de Pantalla 2019-10-22 a la(s) 18.30.00.png

I think it would make organic modeling much enjoyable. I did use it in Silo and at least for me it felt really nice. I lost almost all my old 3D work, nothing to show unfortunately, but I remember using them when modeling a cartoon fish.

Not sure now where I used it, I thought it was Silo but as you mention it only has spherical and surface.

I see that Modo has different fall offs like those I'm suggesting

https://learn.foundry.com/modo/cont...election_falloffs/soft_selection_falloff.html

The strength of the falloff's influence can be controlled along the extent using a shape preset.

Linear - Attenuation of the falloff occurs evenly across its range.

Ease-In - Strength of the falloff is greater toward the Start position.

Ease-Out - Strength of falloff is greater toward the End position.

Smooth - Strength of falloff is greater toward the center of the falloff.

Custom - You can use the In/Out options to fine-tune the strength of the falloff.

* FWIW (I misunderstood your post, Joel):
* A filter / pattern for fall-off would be quite useful, indeed.
* However, you can select multiple points for soft selection:
1 Click on individual points to set centres for the subsequent transformation, then use soft sel to expand the point cloud.
2 Ring / Loop sel also works in point mode. Alternatively, toggle to edges or faces, select whatever, then convert the selection to points.
3 You can also refine the topology (insert points / sub div adjacent faces) and then toggle back to point mode.

* This may sound (and is) a bit laborious, but will give extensive control. Once you have defined useful hotkeys for these steps, the workflow is quite smooth. Needless to say, some spatial imagination, time for experimentation and :devilish: medicinal alcohol to treat intermittent frustration is recommended.

* Some samples using multiple points (loops and rings):
SoftSel1.png

SoftSel2.png

SoftSel3.png

* FWIW #2:
* The normal fall off seems to be sinoidal (your curve 3).
* However, you can edit in steps, reducing the soft selection in subsequent steps until you jst have a single point. That should suffice to fake an exponential fall off (curve 4).
* Ideally, soft select could have a curve fiddler as it exists in the brush tool. That would allow sinoidal, exponential and any linear fall offs. I guess a 2-point Bezier spline would cover most standard demands.

Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 11.58.28.png

Last edited:
:sick: The perpetrator claims poetic license and a brief aberration of his :rolleyes: customary sanity.
:whistle: "Was kümmert mich mein Geschwätz von gestern?" (Chancellor Konrad Adenauer)
:whistle: en: "What do I care about my nonsense from yesterday?" (a quote by the German post WWII chancellor Adenauer)

Last edited:
* As mentioned above, this is just a special modus available in point mode only.
* This is not a specific tool. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to assign a hotkey to expanding / reducing a soft selection. You can, of course, manually modify the params in the tool panel (by numeric entry / by dragging the arrow keys on the margin).
* It shows up in edge and face (= poly) mode for no good reason. Possibly generic parameters for future C3D trickery conceived by the Good Doctor.

* I have used the 3 mousey settings since the late middle ages, so I never stumbled over your conflict of zooming.
* As activating the Ctrl key for C3D hotkeys is not possible, I do not know how you ever got to this quick key, anyway.
Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 18.44.50.png

* As mentioned above, this is just a special modus available in point mode only.
* This is not a specific tool. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to assign a hotkey to expanding / reducing a soft selection. You can, of course, manually modify the params in the tool panel (by numeric entry / by dragging the arrow keys on the margin).
* It shows up in edge and face (= poly) mode for no good reason. Possibly generic parameters for future C3D trickery conceived by the Good Doctor.

* I have used the 3 mousey settings since the late middle ages, so I never stumbled over your conflict of zooming.
* As activating the Ctrl key for C3D hotkeys is not possible, I do not know how you ever got to this quick key, anyway.
View attachment 35087
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 1.59.16 PM.jpg

Back