License transfer?

Hi. I've purchased Cheetah 3D in 2018 and used it on my Mac without any problem so far. Now I've bought a new iMac and want to transfer/activate Cheetah on it. Is it possible? Please, advise. Thanks.

Didn't you use macOS Migration Assistent to transfer software and user documents to the new Mac?

Cheers
Frank
Hi Frank.
No. I added the new Mac to my office, but since this is more powerful than the other, I want to transfer Cheetah to this one. I will keep the old Mac for office work only. I don't want to migrate documents from the other. Just some programs that need more graphic resources and memory. Regards.

Hi Renderguy,
I got a new Mac Mini on the weekend, and I installed Cheetah3d, and it works fine. I intend to use it to render large files keeping my laptop free to go to work with me.
Just download it and put your License Key.
Andrew

Hi all. Thanks for your answers. I didn't lose my license. I just wanted to move it from one machine to the other. I don't know whether there is a procedure to do that or not (say, deactivate the license on the first machine, uninstall the software, install Cheetah on the second machine, activate the license). I don't want to violate the license agreement. From Andrew's and Frank's posts, I assume that it's a matter of removing Cheetah from machine 1 , install Cheetah on 2 and type the license in. Thanks.

You can read up on the main site as follows:
"Except during the demo period, the Software must not be used without a valid license. A license of the Software must only be used on one computer simultaneously. A license of the Software may be installed on two computers simultaneously. You may copy the Software for back-up or archival purposes.
YOU MAY NOT: modify, translate, disassemble, reverse engineer, decompile, or create derivative works based upon the Software."

Cheers
Frank

Hi,
Rather than start a new post-thread, I thought maybe this is the best place to post my question about licensing....

I currently have 2 MacBooks (a 2016 MacBook Pro 13inch and a 2010 MacBook Pro 13inch). A few weekends ago, I was hurrying to get a Cheetah3D animation (several scenes) completed using my 2016 MacBook Pro, So while I worked on other scenes on my 2016 MacBook pro, I decided to farm out some of the rendering work to my old 2010 MacBook Pro and went ahead and installed Cheetah3D on that computer and used my registration key (from my 2016 Macbook Pro)... I only used the old 2010 MacBook Pro to render the animations (which took a very very long time to render)...

- Is that a violation of the Licensing Agreement? After reading this thread, it seems so.

So, I just ordered a new 2020 MacBook Pro 16inch and would like to use it for creating scenes and doing most animation rendering - At times, I might want to use my old 2016 MacBook Pro 13inch for farming out some animation rendering if I need to...

- Should I buy an additional Cheetah 3D License for installing Cheetah3d to my new 16inch MacBook Pro, to be compliant?

**Oh, I just saw Martin's note about "Big Sur" - So, I guess I can try running Cheetah3D on the new 2020 16inch MacBook Pro which will come with Big Sur , but since Martin hasn't tested on that platform I may run into issues. But, still I would like to in the future use my old Macbook to do some animation rendering only.

[Note, I will be wiping my old 2010 MacBook pro 13inch to a clean initial setup and possibly donating it to a local non-profit organization or I will sending it off to be recycled]

Thank you,
Brian T.

Last edited:
In the past, the Cheetah licence allowed installation on 2 computers, not used at the same time, as posted by Frank above. One example may be on your work desktop, and then also on your laptop so you can work out of hours / away from the office. So yes, using 1 licence on 2 machines at the same time is a violation of the EULA, but in my experience Martin is a reasonable chap to deal with. Unless he chooses to respond here it may be best to send him an email and discuss with him direct.

Your honesty in this matter is to be applauded. Well played sir. (y)

In the past, the Cheetah licence allowed installation on 2 computers, not used at the same time, as posted by Frank above. One example may be on your work desktop, and then also on your laptop so you can work out of hours / away from the office. So yes, using 1 licence on 2 machines at the same time is a violation of the EULA, but in my experience Martin is a reasonable chap to deal with. Unless he chooses to respond here it may be best to send him an email and discuss with him direct.

Your honesty in this matter is to be applauded. Well played sir. (y)
Paul,
I think Cheetah3D is a great product (software) and the full single user license cost of $99.00 is a great price for the software and all it can do. So, I will buy a new full license for my new MacBook 16", when it is delivered in a week or two.... I will keep my existing full-license on my 2016 MacBook13" and may use it from time to time to farm out some small animation scenes to be rendered. (I'm going to restore my old 2010 Macbook 13" with a clean system backup I have and donate it)...

Perhaps with this new MacBook 16" (2.4ghz i9 Processor, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6) it will render my animations super-fast and I won't need to use my 2016 MacBook 13"....

I'm thinking the new Laptop will come with Big Sur on it, So I guess that I will have to wait for Martin finish testing/updates for Big Sur... But, I will install Cheetah3D on it and give it a try to see what kind of issues I encounter and I guess I should post them to the forum (to be investigated)....

I don't do any complex model creation or complex animations - I've just created some small fun animations of ideas I have - I've got plenty of ideas in a half finished state and many more fun stuff I want to make - I'm working on a Christmas scene animation now... I get most of the special 3D objects I need for my scenes from TurboSquid (the free stuff) and I sometimes modify them for my use (adding structural or character features), and Rig characters for animation/create poses and morphs - And some object I create from scratch, though I'm not the best modeler and will spend more time learning. Oh, I've used the Particle Emitter and Effectors for some animations and that can slow things down a lot. Last year, I bought the "Learn 3D with Cheetah3D 6 - by Tonio Leowald" book on iBooks, It has been helpful, as well as posts on this forum...

Thank you,
Brian T.

Back