Vertex Weight Tool

Andrew

Hello Everyone,
I have another fundamental question. You have modeled a character, and you want to assign the eyeball to a bone. How do you use the vertex weight tool to attach the eyeball to the eye bone without the rest of the head getting in the way? When I hide parts of the model, they are not hidden when I am trying to adjust the vertex weights.
What is the trick to only having the eyeball visible to assign them to the eye bone?
Thanks in advance to everyone who knows what I am talking about and has time to help.
Andrew

Hi Frank,
Ok, I see where you are going here. Create and keep the eyes as separate models as a parent of the character. It does not have to have a bone to control it. I control the model inside the character.
But when I move the head bone, how do I keep the eyes in place?
I assume i use the same approach for the eyelids?

This would be my set up:
EyeJoints.gif

Cheers
Frank

I would also put two targets in the "circle" spline. One for each eyeball. One, to avoid cross eyes, and two, so you can move each eyeball independently.

Bob

I would also put two targets in the "circle" spline. One for each eyeball. One, so you can move each eyeball independently.
There´s literally no need for 2 targets as you can adjust an offset for that purpose - even when the human eye works differently and 2. just when simulating Marty Feldman.
TargetOffset.gif

MartyFeldman.gif

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank,
That is how I have done it. Also did it this way with the eyelids.
It is so much more comfortable building the character as separate parts then putting it together at the end — a very different approach to the old animation program I used to use.
Andrew

Back