Pumpkin

Thanks guys.. here's another angle. I'm getting more noise though. SPP=0, this render took aprox 4:45 hours. The moon is in a different pass, composed in Ps.

I like the lighting on the pumpkin in your post #22.
I find most all aspects of #31 appealing regardless if it is realistic or not.
I personally like the sharpness of the shooting stars,
Depending what you are trying to achieve I like the angle in #22 and #42.
I like that the entire floor is grass in your last two posts.
I like some DOF but not to overdo it.
Seems too much in life is hazy and shifts too easily now a days. :unsure:

In the very first art class I took in college the professor was adamant about
painting or drawing what YOU see not what other people see.
He encouraged making the outline of objects zig-zag or scalloped or dotted or
abnormally thick or thin in some areas.

In the same token I suppose sometimes the artist has to cater to what the the public likes.
Never-the-less the public is fickle - so no one ever really knows.:rolleyes:
No - wait a minute - I changed my mind.:unsure::whistle::giggle:

Pft! :p I suppose my opinion is worth only 1/4 of a penny to most :poop: . . .
but it's how I personally see it. It's just my opinion and no harm meant to anyone.

Thanks for posting a picture of your lighting set-up!
I really struggle with lighting and your set-up helps me a lot.:)

After all is said and done:
Isn't it how the artist sees the whole picture that makes him great?

Thanks for sharing all your work with us.

My Best
Jeanny

* Joel is a great example to show how the expertise from related areas can be transported to digital 3D modelling. In his case it is his creative application of photographic principles to achieve spectacular lighting und great Bokeh / DOF.
* Some other regulars on this forum have stressed that concise composition of a frame (still or animated) is of primary importance to professional 3D work. Again, Joel intuitively / after long experience knows where to place his camera and which focal length to apply. Sadly, even simplistic basic principles of composition are often ignored, even by professional 3D producers.
* Visually, his are some of the great examples on this forum which demonstrate the outstanding capacities of Cheetah 3D when deployed by a dedicated, creative and experimential craftsperson.
* It is a great pleasure, Joel, to have you on the C3D forum and thank you for sharing your work.

@Jeanny and @Helmut it is a real pleasure to share this forum with you and the others. I feel I post too many renders of the same thing and may get people tired but I enjoy this too much, and having your feedback is very rewarding.

I agree with everything you said @Jeanny, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I never took art classes, my education was engineering but that feels like a previous life now that I'm a photographer and 3D hobbist. Anyway, I'm glad you liked what you see and the lighting setup, that's one thing that seems very important for me, since light and it's behavior and its effects on things are my bread and butter daily. I love photography, and I love being able to translate that to the digital realm thanks to C3D and specially Falcon. I'm being tempted to learn blender just to try Cycles too but I know that will be painfully slow lol.. so for the moment I'm pretty happy with C3D.

Thank you for your kind words @Helmut, it's also my pleasure to share this space with all of you, I learn a lot from everyone.

As I said I feel I'm posting too many renders but I'm trying to refine the final result. I also come up with new things to add to the scene, but for the moment I think I'm ready to move on to something else. I'm thinking a few ideas for a Christmas scene. Halloween is not a big thing where I live and some people are actually against this celebration, being foreign to our culture (as if Christmas was a Mexican thing lol :rolleyes:). Here in Mexico we have "Día de Muertos" or day of the death, a celebration that takes place Novermber 1st, and before I started doing the pumpkin I debated if I should instead do something with el día de muertos, but I really wanted to model a pumpkin so what the hell =) .. perhaps next year I'll do a Día de Muertos scene, this year I went with the international celebration of Halloween hehe..

So, to preserve my tradition of posting too many renders, here's a very slight variation of the same thingy. Have a great sunday everyone.

Last edited:
I might render and publish a few detail angles. There isn't much to show really haha but I'd like to render closeups of the few details this scene has.

Detail renders

1. I wanted to add a sign board to the scene, originally it would say "trick or treat" and it was not going to be in this style but something rustic probably made out of wood. But as I was searching for ideas in google I saw some iron signs that I thought would like nice. I thought the iron would look nice in black, but after doing a test render before adding any material I decided to keep it the default off-white. I searched for a nice design, not overly complicated, I didn't want to steal too much attention from the pumpkin so this design was my choice. I used the image from google as blueprint in C3D. The top ornament part is a single object.
I discarded "trick or treat" and used my logo instead as I intended to publish a couple of renders on facebook and I think it's a good idea to plant my logo in people's mind as much as I can :D

2. Top part of the pumpkin (don't know the name of that in english (wait, what's the name in spanish? :unsure:) I was never happy with it and intended to detail it a bit more but as I said I'm ready to do something else. Maybe later.

3. I found a moon map in google, I think it was from the NASA, I'm not sure though :oops: I used it as is in the diffuse and emissive channels, and a gaussian blurred version in the displacement modifier on a default sphere highly subdivided with a factor of 5. It looked really good to me in the first test render (this is not the first render, I didn't save it).

Last edited:
@ joel ruiz c
I don't believe carved pumpkins have to only advocate Halloween.
Carved Pumpkins could be just a creative form of art . . . a sculpture.
Although the Pumpkin is synonymous with Autumn Harvest or Thanksgiving;
I believe it could be used to sculpture anything.

Although the pumpkin I posted was entitled Happy Halloween;
my intent was more a tribute to Martin's C3D and to show what could be done with his graphic art app.

Whatever you did to create the moon I think it's the best I've seen.

I look forward to your posts.

My Best
Jeanny

@ joel ruiz c
I don't believe carved pumpkins have to only advocate Halloween.
Carved Pumpkins could be just a creative form of art . . . a sculpture.
Although the Pumpkin is synonymous with Autumn Harvest or Thanksgiving;
I believe it could be used to sculpture anything.

Although the pumpkin I posted was entitled Happy Halloween;
my intent was more a tribute to Martin's C3D and to show what could be done with his graphic art app.

Whatever you did to create the moon I think it's the best I've seen.

I look forward to your posts.

My Best
Jeanny

Hello @Jeanny .. Carved pumpkins in general are not a thing in Mexico, except for the Halloween celebration, which of course is an imported celebration. The catholic church for example is completely against parents taking their kids out to trick or treat, arguing that Halloween has its roots in obscure pagan, Celtic rituals. I went to wikipedia and read that Hallowe'en is actually an old christian thing (eve of all hallows) that perhaps could have been influenced by those Celtic rituals. Whatever the historic truth is, there's an active movement on the church's part to try to minimize Halloween celebrations in Mexico. Of course, some people don't care for what the church mandates even if they go to church on sundays lol.. There are kids knocking my door every Halloween, but everybody recognizes it is not part of our culture. It's worth mentioning that "Día de Muertos" is considered another pagan celebration and the church is against it too, it is a precolombian thing. People seem to like and carry out Día de Muertos a lot more than Halloween here and that's fine with me, it is a 100% mexican tradition and I love seeing people going to graveyards to visit their ancestors and dedicate a full day to remember and honor them. Then there's the "pan de muertos" or bread of the death, a type of bread only found around those days.
I also love the Catrinas thing, but that "tradition" was created early last century by a cartoonist/painter (José Guadalupe Posada) to criticize poor people who followed whatever was in vogue in France, that's why the characters are skeletons (hungry people) with french hats and dresses. It was Diego Rivera, the husband of Frida Khalo, who named those characters as "Catrina", a name that used to be given to people who dressed with the latest french fashion, very elegant. So the original Catrina was a social critic directed towards the poor people (mainly female domestic employees) who wanted to look like wealthy people who wore the latest french fashion.

La Catrina is now seen every Día de Muertos celebration, but at first that was not the case. This character is the one I was debating about modeling instead of the pumpkin.

This is the painting by Diego Rivera that made it popular and took it out of the critic context. The painting is called "A sunday evening in the main square". You can see the awesome Frida Khalo by the Catrina's side. Frida always wore mexican dresses, she was extremely proud of being mexican.
La-Catrina.jpg

It's worth mentioning that I was a bit anxious about posting my pumpkin renders on facebook. I have a few church pastors and christian friends on my contact list and I thought they could make a comment, perhaps a veiled one but indeed criticizing me for taking up that theme. That gives you an idea of how strong the thinking against Halloween is among religious people here. No body said a thing though and even if I got just a handful of likes that's a bit of a relief :)

Reactions: SOF
It's worth mentioning that I was a bit anxious about posting my pumpkin renders on facebook. I have a few church pastors and christian friends on my contact list and I thought they could make a comment, perhaps a veiled one but indeed criticizing me for taking up that theme. That gives you an idea of how strong the thinking against Halloween is among religious people here. No body said a thing though and even if I got just a handful of likes that's a bit of a relief :)
I am sorry for you that FaceBook rules your life

Martin is the only moderator from what I know. There´s a "Report" button available under every reply.
I´m not sure @Charless was offending you - maybe a language barrier.

Cheers
Frank

* @joel ruiz c
* May I suggest that you contact the user @Charless semi-privately via the mode provided.
* C3D users are a multi national community and I have never experienced on this forum any discrimination or animosity, be it racist, sexist or any other prejudicial category.
* Also, bear in mind that humour is a subjective concept.

* To conclude with a sarcastic observation: Language is utterly unsuitable for any communication. In spoken communication some 3/4 are estimated to be non-verbal. In postings on the web these 75% are simply lost. Adding a few emojis may help, but ambiguity (or total misunderstanding) is the rule.
* Which, by the way, is the reason why politics and statecraft does not rely on twittering earley in the morning :sick::mad::devilish:
* What to do with a drunken sailor :whistle: is a matter best commented upon by user @SOF, residing in the Wild West of Wales.

"What to do with a drunken sailor :whistle: is a matter best commented upon by user @SOF, residing in the Wild West of Wales.".

As you may observe from my 'like' appended to joel's last posting here above, I have strong sympathies with his stance, not just re. the 'offensive' posting per se , but also for the possible/apparent lowering of standards in a technical forum, for which I have great respect and from which I have learned so much.

I intended to remain silent, as usual, but seeing the strange reference above to myself, felt forced to spring my finger tips into action:

I am neither a 'drunken sailor' (though I have spent many happy years chugging the UK canals in my fibreglass tub), nor do I reside in the 'Wild West of Wales'; though Barry Island can get a tad lively in the Season.

I am intrigued, most certainly not offended.

Last edited:
I would think Charless most likely would have seen these responses by now - if his intentions were not meant to be offensive, he would have said so...
I intended to remain silent here too but-well- here I am.

With my explanation abut the mexican costumes about the day of the dead, halloween, religious people, etc I intended to share a little about the local culture related to the theme of my pumpkin model. I thought it could be entertaining for some, and those who didn't find it interesting could simply stop reading and move on.

The pumpkin is finished, so let's not turn this thread into something else.

Thanks everyone who took the time to comment the pumpkin :) I appreciate your feedback and feel part of a very nice community.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back