SCRIPTS: A Quick Guide

* Poly To Spline
* generates a set of splines from the edges of a mesh.
PolytoSpline.png

* Particle Connector
* generates splines to connect the elements of a particle mesh.
ParticleConnector.png

* Pathed Helix
* applies a helix to a given axial spline.
PathedHelix.png

* Blow Up
* simulates the explosion of an n-faced mesh.
Blow Up.png

* Hair
* generates hair, fur and similar fibrous clusters.
Hair #2.png

* Spline Wrap
* This floats a polygonal mesh onto the axis of a given spline.
Spline Wrap.png

Attachments

• PathedHelix.png
    PathedHelix.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 457
  • Hair #2.png
    Hair #2.png
    296.8 KB · Views: 436
  • Spline Wrap.png
    Spline Wrap.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 409
  • Arrows.png
    Arrows.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 557
* Arrows
* Various types of arrows.
View attachment 34840
* Splines #1
* Various simple splines. Generally, names are self-explanatory.
FractalSplines.png

* Splines #2
* More simple splines. Generally, names are self-explanatory.
Splines #2.png

* Splines #3
* And even more of the same. Generally, names are self-explanatory.

* Spline Grid
* Generates a 2D / 3D grid.
Spline Grid.png

* Sea Shell
* Produces a helical shell.
DeaShell.png

* Random Cluster
* Generates a cluster of the children´s nodes.
RAndom Cluster.png

* Loft
* Similar to the Loft creator.
Loft.png

* Sweep Interpolate
* An expanded Sweep creator allowing for manipulating the cross section.
Sweep Interpolate.png

Attachments

• Splines #3.png
    Splines #3.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 461
  • Splines #3.png
    Splines #3.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 418
  • Spline Grid.png
    Spline Grid.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 411
Wow! Nice work making the purpose of each of these scripts clear. I only wish all Cheetah script developers would do the same in one or a few images.

Thanks Helmut.

* Solines 2D: Bounce
* Useful for simple dynamics of balls / elastic objects
* Can be deployed in creators / spline tracks / particle meshes
Bounce.png

* Splines 2D: Dragon
* Various recursive / fractal options (square, triangular, hexagonal)
Dragon 90°.png

Dragon Square.png

Hilbert.png

* Splines 2D: Sine Wave
* self-explanatory
SineWave.png

* Splines 2D: Spirals
* self-explanatory, various options (Archimedes, square/...)
Spiral Arch.png

Spiral Square.png

* Splines 2D: Tree
* recursive / fractal bifurcation
Tree.png

Attachments

• SineWave.png
    SineWave.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 420
* Splines 3D: Bounce
* 3D version of a 2D spline
Bounce 3D.png

* Splines 3D: Edges 2 Spline
* Turns the edges of a polygonal mesh into splines
Edges 2 Spline.png

* Splines 3D: Loxodrome
* Spiral embedded on a sphere
Loxodrome.png

* Splines 3D: Particle Connector
* Draws connected splines (linear / curved) between elements of a particle mesh
Particle Connector.png

* Splines 3D: Pathed Helix
* Generates a helix along the axis of a given spline
Pathed Helix.png

* Splines 3D: Spline Grid
* Generates a 2D / 3D grid along the XYZ axes
Spline Grid.png

* Splines 3D: Torus Helix
* self-explanatory
Torus Helix.png

* Splines 3D: Torus Knot
* self-explanatory
Torus Knot.png

* Polygon.js: Explosion
* self-explanatory
Explosion.png

* Polygon.js: Hair
* self-explanatory
Hair.png

* Polygon.js: Object Array
* Populates an array (line / grid / ring / spline) with polygonal meshes
Object Array.png

* Polygon.js: Polys on Path
* Populates a spline with polygonal meshes
Polys on Path.png

* Polygon.js: Random Cluster
* self-explanatory
Random Cluster.png

* Polygon.js: Sea Shell
* self-explanatory
SeaShell.png

* Polygon.js: Spline Wrap
* Floats a polygonal mesh along the axis of a spline. The base element must possess the topology to show the resultant distortion
Spline Wrap.png

* Polygon.js: Sweep Interpolation
* An advanced sweep: The 3rd child manipulates the cross section of the tubular result
Sweep Interpolation.png

* Polygon.js: Voxellate
* Populates a polygonal mesh with voxels
Voxellate.png

Attachments

• Polys on Path.png
    Polys on Path.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 394
* @anybody: Please point out any Java scripts currently lacking where you may wish for a quick image of the functionality / operability.

Servus from Vienna

I truly appreciate the effort!! this thread is an eye opener for many users, not only newbies I'm sure. Great work putting this together.

Wow thanks Helmut! I was just thinking the other day how I always forget what a lot of the scripts do. Very helpful posts. :cool::)

Thanks to Helmut for another in-depth contribution to the C3D knowledge base.

I like Helmut’s idea of having many of the scripts demonstrated in this one comprehensive thread.

With the exception of Polygon to Spline, I am not repeating any of the scripts already explained by Helmut. I wanted to follow his lead and share the ones I use the most or think might be the most valuable for any of you who are just beginning to explore the range of available scripts. This is not the Tutorial subforum, so it’s mainly just to introduce the scripts and describe their functions, but the pictures I have might include additional information, which still serves to describe the script.

Some of the attached pictures are duplicates of ones I have previously submitted to the forum; they are included here for simplicity’s sake. Being a visual learner (and forgetter) I make these as references for when I want to use a tool, script, or process and I can’t possibly remember all the steps and settings that took me a long time to figure out. If you save the pictures they might come in handy, to alert you to the availability of a particular script, and hopefully save you some time and frustration in getting it to work right.

There are many scripts that I don’t understand and haven’t used. I hope this thread will motivate others to contribute descriptions of more scripts, or additional information about the ones already briefly described.

If there are any of you out there who are proficient at Javascript and can fulfill requests for specific new scripts, please so state. There has been a constant demand for specific functions, and there are already many tools in other 3D modeling programs that would be nice to have if they could be emulated in Javascript.

One particular question I have is whether there are already open source scripts available on GitHub or SourceForge that could be adapted for C3D. If so, that could rapidly expand C3D’s usefulness while keeping it affordable for a wide user base, from beginners to professionals.

Polygon to Spline

And, of course, thanks to Hiroto Tsubaki for so many great scripts. If you use PayPal his Website* is the main resource for C3D scripts and deserves donations.

I agree that the Polygon to Spline script deserves to be mentioned first. It has been an indispensible tool for deriving a spline from an object, typically to use as a path for a sweep. There are settings which allow you to to use all edges or just selected edges. Other settings allow you to set margins between segments or to make wavey splines.

Attached are a couple of pictures I made to remind myself to burn any scale, move, or rotate transforms first. Otherwise the spline will retain the object’s original properties and won’t be where you intended.

bt.jpg

ptos_burn.jpg

The third picture is how to get a smooth path for the sweep, by checking the “connect” setting and tweaking the spline.

PtoS-tip2 copy.jpg

Edit: Ignore the "Addendum" where I didn't understand that the splines have to be continuous, without branching

There is a dedicated forum thread with some advanced tips:

https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/12063/

*Thanks to Hiroto:

http://www.tres-graficos.jp/blog/files/article.php?id=109

Last edited:
Batch Render

My next favorite script uses the Mac’s built-in Automator, combined with Javascript. Thanks to Tomas for figuring this out. It does batch renders, so you can have C3D cranking away on a folder filled with .jas high-res files or an animation while you do something else, or overnight. His directions are thorough and easy to follow. Having this little program can multiply your productivity, for the cost of electricity.

https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/11767/post-102503

Voronoi Plane

This is a personal favorite, useful for making organic models. It splits a square or rectangle into irregular voronoi polygons, with a setting for how many.

A couple of important tips: After collapsing, use Optimize to delete many duplicate points. Maybe use point slide to adjust too-close points or too-sharp angles which might cause problems in subsequent modeling, like using Inner Extrude.

vor.jpg

Thanks to Hiroto:

http://www.tres-graficos.jp/blog/files/search.php?k=voronoi&d=&p=0&c=0&pn=1&f=

Random Select

This works with any shaped polygons, and the single setting determines the percent of selected polys. It is important to remember that it’s pseudo-random, and it has no extra settings to actually vary the random selection; so 25% will always select the same 25% of polys. Also, like true random patterns, the selected polys aren’t evenly scattered, resulting in clumps of selected polys surrounded by clumps of unselected polys.

random.jpg

Thanks to Martin:

https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/12395/

Relative Particle Array

This has many settings to gradually transform a sequence of particles, typically scaling each particle by a set proportion relative to the preceding particle. Think of a sea-shell as a sequence of spheres in a tapered spiral. Attached is a simple example. The forum thread link gets into the finer details and has the Javascript file.

rel_array.jpg

Thanks to Filip and Hiroto:

https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/6905/

Back