ALPHA PROBLEM WITH KIM

I have this cute little animated FBX housefly model called Kim. I would like to make a green screen animation with her but for some reason I am not getting the results I want. We are both in a bit of a tiresome buzz over this seemingly intractable issue.

I have tried all variations of settings with the alpha channel and the index of refraction settings and for some reason I always get these annoying artifacts showing in areas which should be totally transparent, especially between her legs and the hairs on her back.

If anyone could point Kim and I in the right direction to solve this problem it would be appreciated.

thanks
Limey

KIM AND ARTIFACTS.jpg

There are quite some things you can try:
Increase Max. ray depth which is set to 6 by default.
Check the IoR of the material which needs to be set to 1.0
Did you enabled raytrace&trans at your shadow property of the light source?
Lets see if this will iron out your issues already and report back please.

Cheers
Frank

I remember having problems with transparency and reflections. It's worth a try to switch that off for the hairs if frank's and pod's suggestions don't work.

I was away from my studio over Labor Day weekend...I'm just getting back to this annoying fly issue today.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have tried everything so far but I'm still getting the visible "fuzz".

I have a feeling that one or more of the maps are corrupt but for the life of me I can't tell where that is on my image manipulation program.

Would it help if someone inspects my file ? How would I send it ?

Sorry to be such a bother but I am pretty perplexed.
Limey

FLY FUZZ IMAGE 2.jpg

Of course zipping the file might help.....
Could there be a conflict between the materials I wonder ? (I have only been using two of them so far )

Attachments

• FLY FILE TO FORUM.zip
    30.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Insect_Fly_G.png
    Insect_Fly_G.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Insect_Fly_A.png
    Insect_Fly_A.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Insect_Fly01_S.png
    Insect_Fly01_S.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Insect_Fly01_D.png
    Insect_Fly01_D.png
    218.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Insect_Fly_N.png
    Insect_Fly_N.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Insect_Fly00_D.png
    Insect_Fly00_D.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 214
  • Insect_Fly00_S.png
    Insect_Fly00_S.png
    214.3 KB · Views: 207
As I guessed: all the noise is coming from doubled polygons in the exactly same place; notice the flickering and the darker red shading:
z-chasing.gif
shadingOfDoubles.jpg

I blew a little air in-between by disconnecting the doubles and move along its normals. Please check the file:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• FLY FILE TO FORUM 4U.jas.zip
    32.1 KB · Views: 241
Brilliant....you were correct about the doubles. On very close inspection they become obvious.
However I forgot to mention that it is an animated fly and adjustments of the mesh however slight can cause the animated version to turn the fly into a boll weevil with a very bad stomach ache. I discovered this at my peril when I went in and tried to actually remove some of the doubles which works exceedingly well to a point, just about before it implodes when I choose to remove the wrong line.
I'm not sure what you mean by blowing a little air into it which sounds like a better idea. Could you please explain what you mean by that.
Excuse my ignorance.

As I wrote I disconnected (that´s a tool) the front from the back polys - selected front (4 triangles) portion and with the cursor Orientation set to "Normal" I move them a tad away from back polys. There are 12 objects in all containing the hairy texture.

Cheers
Frank

However I forgot to mention that it is an animated fly and adjustments of the mesh however slight can cause the animated version
Yeah - the important infos always come at last. ;)
Altering meshes that are already rigged+animated is never a good idea and will destroy the joint weighting pretty fast. Even disconnecting will have an impact as it will generate more vertices.
I wonder what Kim´s father has in mind while setting it up; Game engines don´t need the doubled polygons and I guess pretty all render engines will show the same issues you´re encountered. Correct me.

Cheers
Frank

Frank
sorry about giving you the important info last.....
Actually I did play around with the mesh and surprisingly I managed to remove the "hairy mesh" sections and still preserve the animation. Now Kim has smooth and delicate ladylike legs, more feminine although not quite so convincingly fly like.

Fortunately, as Kim appears quite small in my animation, without a magnifying glass it is not really possible to spot the "setae".... which is what the hairs on a fly a fly are called, as I'm sure you knew.......Fancy that, everything has a name it seems.

Thanks for the input. Next time I'll post all the most important info first.

P.S.
Kim's father never has anything really "in mind"......mostly "out of" mind.

Oh...not his real legs then ? I wondered why you had paid attention to those.
I'll check out the movie, it has 4 1/2 star rating on Rotten Tomatoes with a 92% Tomatometer....Must be good.

Back