Loop and ring selection issue with rotated objects

Using ring and loop selection on a rotated object doesn't work consistently. Some edges are unable to be selected on objects with a rotation. This also applies hierarchically as any child of a rotated parent has the same issue.

The camera rotation seems to be related to the issue, as changing the angle alters the selectable components. Perhaps the logic responsible for masking selectable components by perspective is at fault for this?

I'm attaching a video demo where I reconstructed the issue:
Dropbox link

Hope this helps!

I can´t help - it works here as expected on my iMac2011/HighSierra. Which Cheetah3d version you´re using?
Does it happen when you restart Cheetah3d with a fresh file?

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
I've tried to replicate you example as closely as possible but it worked as expected. On both my Mac Pro (Mojave) and MacBook Pro (Catalina). That's very strange.

Did you run Cheetah3D on your eGPU?

I'm currently running MacOS 10.14.6 (18G84), using Cheetah3D 7.4b1. This bug appears both with and without my eGPU. This has however been an issue for me for some time. I can't remember when I first encountered it, but I believe I've had this for the entirety of version 7? It could be my new laptop (MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2018), as I used a MacBook Air 2012 previously, without issues I think.

The bug appears on Cheetah3D 7.3.3 as well. I'll check more versions as I get a hold of them.

How do I get my hands on older versions of Cheetah3D? I looked through the forum for the official beta uploads, but realised they only direct me to the download page for the latest version.

This file contains a rotated sphere like in your video as Collada.
Can you test it please?

Attachments

• RotatedSphere.dae.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 187
I´ve tried all I can think of - but can´t recreate this behaviour. Really really strange. Just one last before I´m finally out; can you upload a file which explicit shows this issue on your side and does it show up also with say a 10x10x10 editable box object?

I´ve tried all I can think of - but can´t recreate this behaviour. Really really strange. Just one last before I´m finally out; can you upload a file which explicit shows this issue on your side and does it show up also with say a 10x10x10 editable box object?
Here's a .jas of a rotated 10x cube, which I can not select most edge loops on:

Attachments

• 10x_box_rotated.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 199
Mmm, I've also tried Franks file and I can do loop selections all day long and Cheetah3D detects every loop properly. That's really strange.
Since v6.x ten thousand lines of code have been changed so it's not easy to say what's going wrong.

Do you have anything non-default in your setup. Is your macbook connected to an external monitor? Do you use screen scaling? Do you use a special input device like a tablet? etc.

Here's a .jas of a rotated 10x cube, which I can not select most edge loops on:

I've tried your file and it works perfectly. In all camera modes, in quad camera view, in full screen mode, etc.

Have you tried the default window layout. I've seen that you've customised your window layout.

Hi Martin,

I had just realised that the bug is affected by the window layout in some way. Here's a video of me using different layouts, and the issue showing up in layouts which I have modified, not the default ones.

Dropbox link

Do you want me to provide relevant user setting files? If so, which ones and where do I find them?

Works here without a slightest issue:
LoopSelect.gif

Hi Martin,

I had just realised that the bug is affected by the window layout in some way. Here's a video of me using different layouts, and the issue showing up in layouts which I have modified, not the default ones.

Very strange. The window layout is saved in the following file

~/Library/Preferences/de.wengenmayer.Cheetah3D.plist

Could you please send it to me and I will have a look into it.

I've had an issue with loop selecting edges, too. When I mouse over the loop, it all highlights perfectly. When I click on it to do the actual selection, only the segment is selected, not the whole loop. Probably something I am doing wrong. If I hit shift,ahighlight the loop and click again, sometimes it gets it. Trying it now, on a sphere, rotated or not, it works perfectly, so at this time, can't duplicate.

I've had an issue with loop selecting edges, too. When I mouse over the loop, it all highlights perfectly. When I click on it to do the actual selection, only the segment is selected, not the whole loop. Probably something I am doing wrong. If I hit shift,ahighlight the loop and click again, sometimes it gets it. Trying it now, on a sphere, rotated or not, it works perfectly, so at this time, can't duplicate.
Edge loop selection now works differently from earlier versions of Cheetah3D, to select an entire loop you need to keep the mouse perfectly still while clicking. If you hold the mouse button down you can drag to select only a portion of the loop instead.

Hope this helps

Back