pendulum wave

After I've seen one of those videos on the web,
I had to recreate this in Cheetah.

image_00314.jpg

Animation

First attempt with linear length increments failed,
second with exponential increments worked better but still no perfect resolve at the end.
Never did a 14000 frame animation before :)

Attachments

• pendula1.jas.zip
    67.9 KB · Views: 300
Wow, that's great! Very cool. Thanks or sharing the files.

I made a Newton's Cradle model a long time ago when C3d v6 came out to play around with the new physics that were added. I never could get the balls to bounce off each other like they would in real life. It would only bounce for about 3 seconds and then come to a dead stop. I'll have to see if I can track that file down and open it in v7 and see what it does.

Thanks guys for your likes and comments!
I never could get the balls to bounce off each other like they would in real life.
That's my experience too: whenever collisions are involved I am unable to get precise results out of bullet physics, whatever I do with margin and other settings.
But in this case where the pendulums never touch it works quite accurately :)

Thanks guys for your likes and comments!

That's my experience too: whenever collisions are involved I am unable to get precise results out of bullet physics, whatever I do with margin and other settings.
But in this case where the pendulums never touch it works quite accurately :)

Yeah, that is impressive how long they maintain their energy. I'm not sure what technical reason it won't work when objects collide, but must have something to do with the loss of kinetic energy very quickly.

I have my Newton's Cradle file on my machine at home. I'll look for it when I get home and post it here in case anyone wants to play around with it and see if they get better results than I did.

Brilliant !
Mind boggling !
I remember those were my thoughts when Swizl posted his Newton's Cradle.
Now I'm Repeating those thoughts in reference to what you posted Miso.

I noticed you have two Anchors for each.
Which vertices did you use for each?

Thanks
Jeanny

Thanks Jeanny!

The ropes are simple "V"-shaped splines, their two upper vertices connected to no object, just pinned into coordinate space with one anchor tag, the other connects the single bottom point to the ball object.

Cool it is, albeit a bit long (maybe that was intentional: Gravity pull seems a bit unrealistic to me (which doesn't say a thing. There is much going on in reality we couldn't get away with in 3D, like some clouds that look badly painted)).

My own experiments with bullet weren't very successful in general, again especially with collision. But sometimes things just don't stop moving and to get a realistic look I had to use surreal weights or gravitiy from jupiter (I still don't animate, but physics can sometimes be misused for modeling and of course for things fallen down in a naturalistic way. So it's for me not that big a problem if the animation itself doesn't work that correctly as long as I get a frame where everything looks as I want it to copy).

I don't think it's Cheetah's fault, though. In Modo bullet does not behave much better (you only have a few more possibilities to cheat). I don't know how it is in Blender. I know amazing stuff can be done with it but it's certainly not easy.

Ok, for anyone wishing to waste some time, here is my Newton's Cradle model I did way back in 2012. It doesn't seem that long ago, but as they say, time's fun when you're having flies.

The materials and HDRI should be stock ones that came with C3d, but they can of course be replaced.

Misover, if you don't want me to post these in your thread, please let me know. I'll be happy to create a new one. :cool:

P.S. Thanks Jeanny! :)

Attachments

• Newton's Cradle.zip
    113.4 KB · Views: 299
Back