Sorry dumb question: how to export MOV file [update - you press the SAVE button]

Hello,
Pls help - how do you export an MOV file? Where do you specify export file type + destination?

BTW before you say RTFM, I know its a dumb question because I've been using Cheetah3d since 2016 and I USED TO DO THIS ALL THE TIME. Now I just cant remember how I used to do it. My brain has fronzen. Can't see it on the app, can't find it anywhere in the manual, so my last embarrassing resort is to ask how its done.

Thanks!

Sorry, I found that answer. You press the SAVE button...yup my brain froze and it took me hours of reading the manual and searching for tutorials to find the answer.

Good grief, I have been doing 3D since the 1980s before Windows was invented - maybe my brain is worn out?

haha yes I do ZooHead...that was back in the day...

You know my biggest obstacle with learning Cheetah3d (after a 10 year or so hiatus) is that many of the new features werent even invented yet! I still remember when raytracing was a big deal hahaha...

Maybe "Save" is a bit misleading. Perhaps it should read "Export"? Or maybe "Save As..." with options to save out as image sequences, .mov, or other formats?

I´m not getting what´s unclear here:
Save.png

Sure we can add icons for stills, mov, image sequences (you can pull these from cache as you all know) but it´s doing all the same in the end; saving.

Cheers
Frank

Frank, do you realize that the SAVE button is that of a 3.5 inch floppy disk? There is a generation that doesn't know intuitively what that is (I didn't either but my brain was frozen at the time) since it hasnt been installed in Macs since 1998. But if you ask me its a good solution - I'm kinda ashamed that I momentarily forgot how to use it!

I'm open to what you might have in mind; let's hear your voice in the time of SSDs, Cloud-services etc. ;)
BTW: for me it's always and ever cmd+S. Ever.

Cheers
Frank

Still waiting.
Stefan Dziallas.jpeg

image courtesy of Stefan Dziallas.
Try "Save icon" with an image search engine you trust and tell me what it has to offer. I mean you know who is responsible for the icon set of Cheetah3d?
Cheers
Frank

:unsure: Looking at the current interest rates in the EU:
:poop: To SAVE is futile and leads to the creeping reduction of monetary resources.
:giggle: We need a button labelled INVEST!, converting .jas bytes into bitcoins, €, $, £, ¥ (and SFR for Hasrubal).

I know of these discussion on the UX-UI-Icon driven websites+fora - but it´s really a futile undertaking. Just saying it´s outdated don´t explain why it´s no longer useful. (And you can still buy 3,5"disks and 3,5"-USB floppies for some reason)
And now it´s time for customisation:
CustomToolbars.png

Cheers
Frank

You can also hack the app bundle and replace any icon you want. Just make it the exact same format and name it the same.
Contents>Resources>MWMDiskicon.tiff

I always use the keyboard shortcuts. I guess I'm a oldie though as I like the disk icon. Reminds me of my C64 days.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.17.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.17.34 AM.png
    309.6 KB · Views: 213
You know that these contains 2 sizes?
Cheers
Frank
No LOL! I guess I may have figured it out somehow if I cared to mod the icons, but I don't see any reason to mod the icons. I like the ones you've made just fine. :cool::p

Just curious where the other one is located por favore? Or we could do another "find it" game like you did a few years ago? ;)

Last edited:
by the way, I don't think that a relatively unknown app like Cheetah should try to establish new icons. Yes, floppies are out of date, yes, there are many people who never ever have seen one. So what does a heartshape (like in :love:) actually look like a heart?

As a symbol the floppy is still understood by everybody, because everybody, even youngsters, are used to it and are able to understand a symbol.

I'm sure it will be changed, and as soon as another icon is used by a majority of apps, it certainly will be changed in Cheetah.

Back