Upload size limitation on this Forum

SOF

Hi,
for the second time, I have come across an annoying factor about the structure of this Forum, in that it seems impossible to "Attach a file", of any but a miniscule size. I first came upon this limitation in my "Cheetah3d 6 manual in PDF Chapters" post below, and now I have found it again in my attempt to upload a PDF file, only slightly more that 1MB, re podperson's node tutorials. I find this strange, since I have experience of firstly running the Science Section of a huge Forum (https://www.healthypages.com/community/ - I was Leonardo) and then building and running my own phpBB Forum "Phoenix Philosophy Phorum PX3", for two years. There was no limit in upload bandwidth. I have looked at XenForo's web page and searched for attachment limitations and it seems that there are means to remove any limit.

Hi Frank,

In a previous thread 740KB or there abouts was mentioned. I am going to try and upload a texture folder of 677KB, to see what happens - No even that piddly size is too much!! I have downloaded a demo version of the XenForo Forum Software, to see if there is any clue

This an extract from the XenForo 1 Manual:

Attachments

Attachments are files that have been uploaded along with users' posts etc. They are frequently images, but can also be text files etc.

Note
You can define exactly what kind of files can be uploaded as attachments using the Allowed Attachment File Extensions box in the Attachments section in the main XenForo options system.
Attachment browser

The attachment browser within the Applications section of your admin control panel allows you to review and manage the attachments that have been uploaded to your forum. There are simple controls to switch between the most recent and the largest attachments, and further controls to allow you to filter these results down to specific file types, owner names and dates.

Once you have found the attachment for which you are looking, you can choose to view it right there in the manager, to view it in the context of its host content (the user post in which it was attached) or to delete it.

You may also delete multiple attachments at the same time by selecting the checkbox next to each attachment in the manager, and then using the Delete Selected Attachments control at the bottom of the list.

Be careful, because once attachments have been deleted, they cannot be recovered, and their host content may no longer make sense without the attached file.

More settings for controlling how users may attach files can be found in the Attachments section of the main XenForo options system.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it handled links to external files better. E.g. i could put a video on dropbox and just put link here and have it play inline.

I also miss my animated avatar :)

* Test 250 KB: looks OK (DNA replication)
* Test 1 MB: looks OK (generic Castle, JPG and PNG)

* Test 1 MB: message "The uploaded file is too large." (chromosomes, PNG)
* Test 1.1 MB: message "The uploaded file is too large." (St Michaelis / Hamburg / JPG)
* Test 1.3 MB: message "The uploaded file is too large." (Art Nouveau / VIE / JPG)

* Test 1.4 MB: looks OK (congenital heart defects, HLHS / JPG), (I have no idea why this works)

* Test 1.5 MB: message "The uploaded file is too large."
* Test 1.7 MB: message "The uploaded file is too large."
* Test 2.0 MB: message "The uploaded file is too large."

* Test 84 MB: message "The uploaded file is too large for the server to process."
* Test 04 GB: message "The uploaded file is too large for the server to process."

:unsure: It seems that aboutish 1024 is a limit, but sometimes 880 gets rejected and sometimes > 1MB is accepted. I have been experimenting for a couple of hours and see no straight / consistent logics there.

:devilish: Maybe this is just a minor side effect of BREXIT and the bottle neck Dover <> Calais?
:poop: There is also continental drift, which indicates that the UK is speedily retreating into the direction of Greenland and the North Pole, causing a minor Doppler effect in data communication.

Servus from Vienna

It wouldn’t be so bad if it handled links to external files better. E.g. i could put a video on dropbox and just put link here and have it play inline.

I also miss my animated avatar :)
Never had an issue with external image files - may it JPGs/PNGs or large GIF files. Vimeo and YT-videos are supported now. Not sure about Dropbox-player as I don´t use it anymore.
Yes - I miss gif-files for avatars too.

Cheers
Frank

Image links are fine, video links are the problem. I don’t want the dropbox player, i want a video link to work like an image link (magically possible thanks to the addition of the <video> tag to HTML5.

Back