Cool tonearm lift weight

Trying to make the "track" part of this... anyone have a better handle on how to do it... than me? The boolean tools don't seem to subtract the cylinder...

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.44.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 11.40.26 AM.png

Last edited:
That's a cool one. I cant find any pictures of it anywhere.
I've never seen one with "lift" before.
Who makes it?

Just demoed at a recent audio show. Ingenious idea - with the little lifter arm mounted to every tonearm of every table one owns, the " press lift " could be used from one to the other, which could justify their asking price of 4 bills. Too cool a shape not to try to model for the heck of it.

Most are heavy, some clamp on to the spindle.

This looks like it might be made of plastic. So is it a clamp type?

Hi Greg
* Sorry, I have no idea about HiFi gadgets and have less idea how this gadget is supposed to look like or function.
* Nevertheless, check if you can use the lathe tool for the helical base of whatever it is :unsure:
UFO 01.png

Attachments

• UFO 01.jas.zip
    33.5 KB · Views: 219
Most are heavy, some clamp on to the spindle.

This looks like it might be made of plastic. So is it a clamp type?
This is a clamp type. Heavy but with a hole for the spindle that may be gasketed to exert pressure. It may be aluminum (zincated, then copper plated, then gold plated). If it's aluminum, it might also be weighted with inserts to add mass. Normally record weights are about .75-1 lb. in weight. Still trying to figure out how the top level turns into a continuous look

Hi Greg

I can't give you any better tip (I would try the same as the others). It's just that I would like to know, is there any advantage in this form?

Thanks, Zoo. I once had a custom arm for a Thorens, but the weight was quite ordinary looking and would have been easy to model (just a few cylinders; the sound still was great). So I wanted really to know what the advantage is of such a spiral form, for example if that really minimizes resonance more than an ordinary one (really have never seen one like this).

(I don't have a record player anymore (and a cat destroyed almost all records I had). At my age I don't hear the difference between a cd and a record anymore. So it's just pure curiosity).

Thanks, Zoo. I once had a custom arm for a Thorens, but the weight was quite ordinary looking and would have been easy to model (just a few cylinders; the sound still was great). So I wanted really to know what the advantage is of such a spiral form, for example if that really minimizes resonance more than an ordinary one (really have never seen one like this).

(I don't have a record player anymore (and a cat destroyed almost all records I had). At my age I don't hear the difference between a cd and a record anymore. So it's just pure curiosity).
It picks up the tonearm at the end of the record using an added headshell appendage that rides the spiral ramp up. Ingenious!

Back