X-Ray / Glass Render Style

Greetings,
slowly getting better at my Modeling skills - but Rendering seems like a complete mystery. Client would like me to capture this attached render style. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• GlassXRay_Render.png
    GlassXRay_Render.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 343
I'd advise to make two renders, one complete and the other with the transparent parts missing, then blend them together in Photoshop or whatever.

I'd advise to make two renders, one complete and the other with the transparent parts missing, then blend them together in Photoshop or whatever.
This kind of advice lacks some practically example in my eyes like the one to separate shadows: render one with and one without shadow: the difference is the shadow. I don´t have know of any blend mode in any raster image processor I own that will display only the shadow in the end.

Cheers
Frank

This kind of advice lacks some practically example in my eyes like the one to separate shadows: render one with and one without shadow: the difference is the shadow. I don´t have know of any blend mode in any raster image processor I own that will display only the shadow in the end.

Cheers
Frank

This has no pertinence to the original post (sorry), but maybe interesting, to separate a shadow from the background using Falcon this is what I've been doing (ymmv)...
1. render scene with no object, but with its shadow only (render tag) onto a background.
2. render background without the object or its shadow.
3. take both renders into Photoshop, each it's own layer and do an apply image between the two with blending mode = divide
The result is the shadow on a white (or almost white) background, which can then be extracted various ways.

note: I believe its not mathematically/theoretically equivalent - but its very usable in my experience.

All that being said, I would like a solution to render out some separate layers (background, shadow, object, clown etc.) using Falcon render engine.

--shift studio.

Last edited:
to separate a shadow from the background...
Thanks for stepping into the breach.
This seems only valid for the cast shadow and PS blending modes right? I can´t find an equivalent mode in Affinity Photo/Sketchbook/ClipStudio/Krita (has a Divide blending mode - but result is another story).
As I can either adjust the shadow color/value/hue inside Cheetah3d/Falcon or live filter shadow as a post process in e.g. A-Photo I feel no need to go through these extra steps. But that´s just me. Thanks again for your insights.

Cheers
Frank

@Frank. Yes for a cast shadow of an object. I've only tried in PS - but I'm surprised it doesn't work in others - what is the result of divide in the other raster image editors?

The reason I need to do this is because I'm constantly being asked to provide work to clients as layered image files with subject, shadow, background each on it's own layer. Generally this is for product shots that are going to be repurposed over and over and they need flexibility.
Its not because I want to post-process the shadow per se.

Thanks, Shift Studio.

Last edited:
Using render tags it would be easy using the Cheetah renderer. Have the car's "hull" cast shadows but be itself invisible in one render.

I think it's problematic in Falcon because you're either opaque or you're not. The photons have to go somewhere…

Thanks for the feedback/input.
Membrane was the trick. Can not locate guidance on Power vs Threshold vs Opacity... i just ended up "playing with it and creating a 100 renders till i figured out something that would work. whew!
I'll be rendering a short animated spin - so my imagining needs to be done in here. Adding the Render Tag helped there (ignore shadows and reflections) - thanks~
I have my vehicle centered in a circular flat bowl with a duplicated inverted soft box/bowl overhead (like that exists!)

Attachments

• EVehicleRender.jpg
    EVehicleRender.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 270
Hello again-
stuck now with the second leg of this project. I have a Model of a Vehicle Curtain Air Bag (its actually a cluster of Models ( Sweeps/Lathes/objects/etc)) I need the mirror image of it for the Drivers side.
It appears that this is something Symmetry does not handle? Mirroring Folders? Smart Folders? Multiple Parent/Children Objects?

Im hoping to not have to merge my elements together to allow flexible editing.
am I missing anything?
thanks again... my browser window displays this forum each day i work on this, a wealth of knowledge obtained here!
SideCurtainAirBag.jpg

You can use Symmetry Modifiers with Creator Objects.
Each Sweep or lathe would have it's own. The spline would be in the middle of the car.

-X scale! wtf.. ya learn something everyday. something so simple. didnt know thats how that worked.
The Script failed for me (errors) ...read more of that discussion. WHAMO-
Big Thanks~ Cheers indeed!

Back