Nulls Imported From Other Apps

I have a character imported from Cinema 4D that I had rigged and used Null Objects. When they come over into Cheetah, they come in as Folders with no visuals other than dots. Is there a way to give them some volume (basically, give them at least a spline shape or outline of some kind) in the viewport, or do they all have to be replaced?

Thanks!
Bob

You can use the Parent Constraint, put it on the folder, then drop the object you want into the Parent Constraint.

Here's a little test.

ride-cycle.gif

I think Bob asks about a conversion from Cinema4d-null objects into more meaningful objects inside Cheetah3d instead of a small dot. I wonder while this can happen in C4d already but regarding splines - if there' s any fileformat supporting geometry/joints+splines at the same time for instance?

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Yes, the "goal" would be to eliminate the "dot", assuming I can't just convert it to something else. I suppose I can place a spline object at the same spot as the folder, then delete the folder. Assuming that's possible.

Bob

Yes, the "goal" would be to eliminate the "dot", assuming I can't just convert it to something else. I suppose I can place a spline object at the same spot as the folder, then delete the folder. Assuming that's possible.

Bob
That's what I was intending.
1. load spline.
2. Shift drag spline to Target Folder, spline will move to folder position.
3. Drag out spline without shift, it will stay in position.
4. Now load spline into IK handle tag and delete folder.

I think Bob asks about a conversion from Cinema4d-null objects into more meaningful objects inside Cheetah3d instead of a small dot. I wonder if this can´t be taken place in C4d already and if - say splines - will make it during export/import process?

Cheers
Frank

I just tested it. Unfortunately a spline from C4d also comes in to C3d just as a folder (tested with .obj and .fbx). Good idea and worth a try. ZooHead's method is good for someone that doesn't have C4d to tailor the original file before export.

That's what I was intending.
1. load spline.
2. Shift drag spline to Target Folder, spline will move to folder position.
3. Drag out spline without shift, it will stay in position.
4. Now load spline into IK handle tag and delete folder.

Yep! That's what I did! A little cumbersome, but workable.
Bob

I know this is off topic, but the Cactus Dan character plug ins for C4d are now free. If you have r20 you'll have to download Insydium's bridge plug in. I think they will work with the earlier versions without the bridge. I can't remember if you said you had C4d or not, but worth a download if you do a lot of character animation. https://insydium.ltd/community/cd-tools/

Wow! I do have an old version. I have version 10. I was a beta tester for Dan when he first got started. Those plugins were gold. Maxon should have bought him out. Still can't believe he's gone. Super nice guy. The coding cowboy!

Thanks for the info!

Bob

I mean to get into learning some character animation and rigging at some point, but like a lot of others here, not much time to spend on it. Impressive that he taught himself how to code. Sad that such a talent is gone.

I got C4d at their last sale and got 33% off while buying it. Stacked a couple of discounts together is the only way I could justify buying it. I've already done a few freelance jobs and the amount I spent on the license is nearly paid off from that. A lot to still learn. I also got the X-Particles / Cycles4d a few weeks ago when they had it for half off. Cycles4d is a lot of fun. Now to just learn what all the different nodes do. Haven't gotten in to X-Particles, but I will after I get comfortable with Cycles.

I had posted a video for Hiroto about some constraint suggestions. I'd love to see some of these in Cheetah. If anyone is a coder and can figure some of these out, have at it! I know nothing about coding or how difficult it would be to implement any of these things. The background noises are from my dog!

I too would love to have the animation tools expanded. It's one of the reasons I bought into C4d. I'm starting to do more and more mechanical animations. The initial animation set up in C3d is pretty easy, but once I have to start editing and making revisions, it gets a lot more difficult to keep everything in sync. I know Martin is mostly a one man band, so he has to carefully plot out what he works on. Just guessing, but I think the next big changes in C3d will be additional features in the renderer (SSS, Volumetrics) and then maybe some attention to the animation tools will come after those have been finished. ?

I had posted a video for Hiroto about some constraint suggestions. I'd love to see some of these in Cheetah. If anyone is a coder and can figure some of these out, have at it! I know nothing about coding or how difficult it would be to implement any of these things. The background noises are from my dog!

Me either! I tried to learn coding over the years, but just don't have the mindset to fully grasp it. Maybe one day C3d will have a full SDK for true plug ins? Although I'm not sure how big the market would be for someone to develop proper plug ins if it were available.

Back