Transparent Label

I'm looking to put a see through label on a clear supplement bottle. On the attached file the blue needs to be clear. Can anyone help?

File attached

Attachments

• FamilyShot.png
    FamilyShot.png
    315.5 KB · Views: 264
Hi Joe,

While I think this probably could be done directly in C3d, you would have to use a lot of masks and nodes to do this. It would probably be easier to set the opacity (Alpha Channel) in an image editor, like Photoshop, Affinity Photo, etc. Just make sure that the alpha channel check box is ticked in your C3d material so it can utilize that channel.

If you just have to do it all inside the C3d material, I can find a few posts here that may face you in the right direction. Be aware that some of the nodes, like the composite node will not show up in the OpenGL viewport. So it makes it a little trickier to edit and see what is actually happening when you are working with materials like that.

Edit:
It's also possible to split this into two separate materials, but you'd still either need to mask off the curved part of the label, or create actual polygonal geometry that would then need to be UV mapped to fit the bounds.

In essence this is pretty easy:
You need a material-shader for glass: 100% transparent, Index of refraction: 1.55, enabled Fresnel - bit of reflection
Drag that onto the whole glass mesh. Select the polygons where the label should appear - UV unwrap that portion.
make a copy of of your glass material, enable alpha channel for your PNG/tiff decal (a blank border around your decal would help), reduce reflection, drag your label onto the selection. You can check placement while the image is in edit-mode at the image loader.
LabeledGlass.jpg

Cheers
Frank

This relates to a problem I've been having. I can't get the unwrapped label portion to look right.

EL84.jpg

Attachments

• EL84.zip
    151.8 KB · Views: 230
In essence this is pretty easy:
You need a material-shader for glass: 100% transparent, Index of refraction: 1.55, enabled Fresnel - bit of reflection
Drag that onto the whole glass mesh. Select the polygons where the label should appear - UV unwrap that portion.
make a copy of of your glass material, enable alpha channel for your PNG/tiff decal (a blank border around your decal would help), reduce reflection, drag your label onto the selection. You can check placement while the image is in edit-mode at the image loader.
View attachment 34118
Cheers
Frank
Hi Frank-
Would you be able to do a step by step on this one too? I just can't seem to get this down correctly.

As proofed above it doesn´t work as expected. In my example in reply N°6 it´s just not obvious/visible. Strange though as I´m pretty sure I´ve managed it earlier. :unsure:

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank-
Would you be able to do a step by step on this one too? I just can't seem to get this down correctly.
Sorry to hijack your thread. For you're situation this method may still work, as the actual label is transparent.
So I would expect to see the edge, but it depends on the lighting. My example is modeling a silk screened logo.

I'm also getting an bad png image in the preview window at the image loader.
I just started using pngs with transparency, so I don't know if this is expected behavior.

imageloaderpng.jpg

If you're going to UV-unwrap the whole tube which isn't even necessary when it's made from spline+lathe-creator you can avoid the latest mapping issues completely. ;)

Cheers
Frank

Not sure what you mean, I only unwrapped the label portion and I could probably use the uv mapper instead.

Anyway I did it with jpegs, the black version is for the transparency
and I needed to "choke" it a little to get rid of a halo.

EL84 comp label.jpg
EL84 comp nodes.jpg

Back