Braun PCS 5 turntable mod so it runs near perfect under USA 60Hz electricity

I was gifted a Braun PCS 5 turntable (circa 1962), which came with a custom plinth and other nice updates. Unfortunately, when running here in the USA, at the 33-1/3rpm setting, it runs at 40.8rpm. I decided to make a sub-platter ring to increase it's diameter and slow the rotation. Over the past year of so I had a friend print ring halves in an effort to tweak the size for maximum speed reduction. It wasn't until I got my own 3d printer that I could finalize the parts needed. Because the Finder only prints 140mm x 140mm x 140mm, I had to split the design into quadrants and added an upper shelf to give it stability and a consistent height under the platter. The final effort, along with using 6 lb test monofilament as a thread belt instead of its original rubber belt, the speed reduced to 33.7rpm. My Well Tempered Turntable from 1990 runs at 32.8rpm, so I consider this a win... and close enough for radio!

You may notice that the headshell is a new Ortofon issue. When applying heat while soldering a lose cartridge wire in the original bakelite headshell, the heat caused one of the arm pins yo separate int it's 3 parts... Getting it back together was a job far to delicate for my large hands so I insisted the help of a tonearm making friend. He managed to transplant the headshell to arm pin assembly into the new Ortofon headship, which allows me to tweak newer cartridges into position more easily.

BraunPCS5-01.jpg
BraunPCS5-02.jpg

Last edited:
Back