Announcing PBRtist Open Beta

I'm curious why the 'height' slider for the displacement map is apparently inverted. i.e. height decreases as you increase the slider value.
--shift studio.

The 'Height' slider correctly should named 'Height Field Radius'. This is a filter which produces a continuous three-dimensional, loft-shaped height field from the output of top layered filters with the given radius. In contrast to blur it keeps the hard contrast edges.

Maybe I should rename this to 'Loft' or 'Bezel' and tweak the slider values a bit more.

Here an example with a blur value of 0.0

Height: 0
Height Field Radius 0.jpg

Height 10:
Height Field Radius 10.jpg

The good news: This is a great tool. So great I bought it.

The bad news: It will not let me register with the code I was provided. (I copied and pasted, there should be no typos) I have copies of both the invoice and code.

Who/how should I contact to get this issue resolved?

Edit: N/M I got it to work. There is a little instruction error on the register page. It says "use the name below", but there was no name on that page. Apparently it pulled my full name from Amazon pay. I rarely use my full name. I did not expect that to be tied to a registration code. That does not bother me, just did not expect it.

Last edited:
Edit: N/M I got it to work. There is a little instruction error on the register page. It says "use the name below", but there was no name on that page. Apparently it pulled my full name from Amazon pay. I rarely use my full name. I did not expect that to be tied to a registration code. That does not bother me, just did not expect it.

Thank you for the info.

The order process is handled by my payment provider. I have checked the configuration for the "Post Order Instructions" and fixed a problem there. Furthermore I forwarded your problem to my payment provider.

I have just released: PBRtist Version 1.0.b6 (1309).

New in this version:

- Renamed displacement 'Height' control to 'Loft' and updated the possible slider values from 0.0 to 1.0
- Added a new Loft example.
- Fixed a bug where is was not possible to import a configuration from an existing PBR Document Package file.
- Fixed a bug on macOS 10.13 where the SceneView does not display any content.

Last edited:
One feature set that'd make this even more excellent is looking at what pixplant does for making image maps tileable, along with skew corrections etc. It simply is even to this day unparalleled for that kind of thing.

Keep up the great work!

One feature set that'd make this even more excellent is looking at what pixplant does for making image maps tileable, along with skew corrections etc. It simply is even to this day unparalleled for that kind of thing.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I'm currently working on the next version of PBRtist and this feature is definitely on my todo list.

@Uwe. A couple of suggestions and a question.

Suggestion - allows keyboard input of parameters instead of slider-only input when adjusting the maps curves and other values.
Suggestion2 - add a hue adjustment parameter for the diffuse channel.
Question - what is the difference between normal maps 'strength' and normal map 'intensity' and when should one be used over the other?

I have other questions too, but they've slipped my mind right now.
Thanks!
--Shift Studio.

p.s. tiling enhancements sound good too :)

@Uwe. A couple of suggestions and a question.

Suggestion - allows keyboard input of parameters instead of slider-only input when adjusting the maps curves and other values.
Suggestion2 - add a hue adjustment parameter for the diffuse channel.
Question - what is the difference between normal maps 'strength' and normal map 'intensity' and when should one be used over the other?

I have other questions too, but they've slipped my mind right now.
Thanks!
--Shift Studio.

p.s. tiling enhancements sound good too :)
Keyboard input of values should be not a big problem to implement. BTW you can increase/decrease the values using [Shift] +/- keys.

The normal strength value is a radius to calculate the normal map. The resulting image is used as the source for SceneKit‘s material normal property contents. Every material property has a intensity value, a number between 0.0 and 1.0 that modulates the effect of the material property.

How are things going for the new version? Have a sneak peek roadmap as to what we can expect to come? :)

Yes, it's coming along. After a six week break on Bali, I am working hard on version 2.0 again.

What you could expect:
  • Import scene files (.gltf, .glb, .scn, .dae, ...) with Non-destructive Editing and material configuration
  • Add materials to a structured material library
  • Export selected nodes or complete scene as USDZ or SCN files (for use in Reality Composer and others)
  • AirDrop an USDZ file to iPad or iPhone
  • Keyboard input for values accepted
  • Better normal map algorithm by including displacement map (Displace: 0 .. 1.0)
  • Big menu with a large selection of possible dielectric values and metallic colours
  • Save camera position and node selection
  • Refactured internals ready for use in a separate iPad/macOS universal app using Catalyst
  • Bug fixes
Some of these features require macOS Catalina. Displacement maps are currently unsupported for USDZ export.

Here are some early screenshots for PBRtist 2.0:

PBRtist V2.0.jpg
PBRtist Dielectric Metallic.jpg
PBRtist AirDrop.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

Could you add the ability to scale usd/usdz files? You can’t edit the bounding box in Xcode. Or if you know of any program that does this I’d appreciate input.

I couldn’t get the open source usdmanager program to run on my Mac. I opened an issue for that program on github. Not even sure if I could edit the bounding box size in that program.

Hi Uwe how’s the update going on? Are you still working on it?
Yes, and the good news is that I am about to release a first public beta version of PBRtist 2.0.

The main features are:

- New Filters: Coat, Coat Roughness (with C3D Export) and Coat Normal
- Normal Map combines Displacement info
- Creation of material variants
- New material library
- Perspective Crop Editor to create seamless textures
- Import and export of glTF, .glb and .usdz files.
- Drag & Drop of materials for imported models
- Non-destructive editing
- Magnifier glass for pixel pushers
- Enter filter values via keyboard
- Tweak materials from imported models
- Switch between your variants of imported models
- Check your models via AirDrop in augmented reality
- Big Sur / 10.15
- Apple Silicon / Intel

It's not official yet (but now ;-)), if you dare, you can download the first beta version here:
https://even-u.com/assets/download/PBRtist-v2.0.b4.dmg

Note: the files of version 2.0 cannot be read by version 1.0.

To make up for the long wait, PBRtist 2.0 will be free for users of the first version. (Your licence keys will also work with version 2.0)

While the beta phase is running, a licence key can be purchased at the old price. After the beta phase I will increase the price to 99 Euro/Dollar.

PBRtist2.0.001.jpegPBRtist2.0.003.jpegPBRtist2.0.008.jpegPBRtist2.0.010.jpegPBRtist2.0.004.jpegPBRtist2.0.005.jpegPBRtist2.0.007.jpegPBRtist2.0.012.jpegPBRtist2.0.013.jpegPBRtist2.0.018.jpeg

Great news Uwe. Is this a Big Sur only release? I ask this because my test machine runs current Pbrtist just fine. So haven’t updated due to overall compatibility concerns

I’m Really happy to have this app and learn it, please keep us updated with news as it comes again great news for 2021

Back