Announcing PBRtist Open Beta

Hello Cheetah3D fans,

I'm happy to announce the availability of the first open beta version of PBRtist v1.0.b3 (15).
PBRtist is a tool to create materials in a Physically Based Rendering (PBR) workflow.
My motivation to create this tool was the easy integration into Cheetah3D.
Drag'n'drop an image onto the SceneView, configure the material properties and export as Cheetah's .c3dmat files.

System requirements:
macOS 10.13 or newer
Metal enabled device (otherwise the PBR rendering in the Scene View is not possible - and that's just half the fun)

Everyone who is interested can download a copy under https://even-u.com/

Have fun,
Uwe

P.S.: Currently it's necessary to restart C3D if a new material is added to the material library.
PBRtist Screenshot.jpg

Hi Uwe,
congratulations to you wonderful app. Creating proper PBR texture is pretty challenging and I have to admit that I also struggled converting a normal image to a PBR texture set. But you app makes it that easy that it's a true joy.

Also thank you very much for the smooth Cheetah3D integrations with direct export capabilities to Cheetah3D materials. The automatic material reloading feature for Cheetah3D will be in the next Update.

I can just recommend everybody checking out this application. You won't regret it.

I wish you a lot of success with PBRtist.:)(y)

Bye
Martin

Last edited:
P.S.: Currently it's necessary to restart C3D if a new material is added to the material library.
There is a workaround if you want to add a new material and use it immediately in an open project:
- Add c3dmat file to library
- Open newCheetah3D project
- load new material in material browser
- copy and paste in your original project (then close new project)

The generation of normal maps is very slick.

Martin — what’s the chance of also dynamically updating scripts?

I have just uploaded a new version PBRtist 1.0.b3 (180) to my website even-u.com.

New in this version:
- Added "Check for update..." menu item.
- Keep popover for bigger map preview on screen, while selecting other maps.
- New features in Scene View to control HDR skybox and environment lighting:
-- Rotation of skybox (Command + Horizontal Mouse Drag)
-- Adjust exposure offset (Command + Shift + Vertical Mouse Drag) if "Use HDR Camera"
-- Adjust lighting intensity (Command + Shift + Option + Vertical Mouse Drag)
-- Added menu item to context menu "Reset To Initial Values" to reset skybox and lighting
-- Added menu item to context menu "Use HDR Camera"

Great additions Uwe! Specifically the rotation of skybox appeals to me.

It seems to me that there is no generation of any kind of texture maps for Displacement or Emission.
Displacement textures are something I'd like to see - and Emission too for some project I've yet to come across.
Do you have plans for this?

--shift studio.

Last edited:
* Thank you, Uwe.
* This seems very clever, powerful and highly professional.
:) Congratulations

:poop: I apologise for not answering your query from weeks ago, but I had to rescue a major project (not related to 3D modelling) from disastrous improvements introduced by a bunch of f...wits.

Great additions Uwe! Specifically the rotation of skybox appeals to me.

It seems to me that there is no generation of any kind of texture maps for Displacement or Emission.
Displacement textures are something I'd like to see - and Emission too for some project I've yet to come across.
Do you have plans for this?

--shift studio.

The next version will provide Displacement maps and improvements on the generated Normal map.
Bamboo Displacement.jpg

I have just released PBRtist Version 1.0.b4 (274).

New in this version:
- Fixed an ugly bug which shows a corrupted Diffuse/Albedo filter in Map Editor, if the Albedo button was selected and the filter order was changed by drag & drop later.
- Various minor bug fixes.
- Displacement Map support.
- Normal mapping improved.
- Improved Export with User Notification
- WoodCarved example added which uses a displacement map.

Due to a bug in Apple's SceneKit Framework, it's not possible to see changes in the Displacement contents transform: Offset X/Y, Scale X/Y and Rotation. The transformation will be stored in the document, but you will not see any effect in the Scene View, until this bug is fixed. I've reported this bug to Apple's bug tracking system, but got no response since mid January.
See http://openradar.appspot.com/47378993

Last edited:
Looking good! Normal maps do seem more impressive upon first glance.

Upon loading one of the examples, I got a missing resource type error >>

/Users/ut/Library/Application Support/PBRtist/Examples/Images/WoodCarved.jpg

I can then direct PBRtist to find it.
--shift studio

Please consider adding baking from high poly to low poly, there is literally no app for MacOS that does this besides integrated into other subscription based applications that often don't have nifty features such as part name match baking etc.

Best regards
//Morgan

@MorganNilsson - not sure if this will meet your needs, but look at Marmoset Toolbag, and 3D Coat. They both bake normals from high to low poly.

PBRtist is about making texture maps from an input image, to be used as channel inputs in texture based materials. I think baking is out of scope. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

Hope this helps.

— shift studio.

I have just released: PBRtist Version 1.0.b5 (1285).

New in this version:

- More controls to configure your maps.
- Editor to create custom Dodge & Burn layers for displacement, metalness, roughness and occlusion map.
- Added new document format (PBR Document Package) which includes all used images. Good for sharing and archiving your materials.
- Added adaptive tessellation.
- HDR background and camera are optional now.
- Rearranged sidebars
- Toolbar added
- 3D Quicklook support for documents.
- Displacement contents transform works now
- Improved user interface handling
- Fixed a lot of major and minor bugs.

Have fun with PBRtist and create great PBR materials.

This should be Version 1.0 soon, so if someone find bugs or problems, I'll be happy to hear from you. Thanks!

Screenshot PBRtist v1.0.b5.jpg

Last edited:
This is very cool. Especially the displacement. Also the adjustment sliders right at hand is a nice touch too.
Crazy Bump is getting a little tired so I'm glad to see this!
--shift studio.

I'm curious why the 'height' slider for the displacement map is apparently inverted. i.e. height decreases as you increase the slider value.
--shift studio.

Back