3D Printing - Tips and Tricks

What happened there is from the beveling, if you bevel too far
geometry can cause edges to overlap which make unwanted walls.

Here's a demo:

beveltoofar.gif

In order to make a big bevel Extrusion you will need to make custom linear
splines with plenty of space between the corners and the first vertex point.

LinearSpline.jpg

I think your root problem here is caused by the script font itself. A lot of fonts that have sharp intersections like that on the "e" use multiple points stacked on top of each other with one bezier handle apiece, instead of using a single corner point with two bezier handles. (it's a common problem caused by the tools they use to speed up the creation multiple font weights). When you extrude the surfaces made by stacked points you often end up with little walls pushed in random directions. As far as Cheetah is concerned, these are tiny little walls, not a single corner point.

Are you using the font tool in Cheetah, or importing outlines from a drawing problem like Illustrator or Affinity Designer? if importing, cleaning up those corners in 2D is often simpler than welding the points back together in Cheetah.

Also, be very careful about the extrusions of your letters overlapping the letter next to them - look at the left side of the "e"- in a 3D render, this is rarely a problem, but in 3D printing, you would be putting a single wall surface inside of a solid 3D objects again.

I think your root problem here is caused by the script font itself. A lot of fonts that have sharp intersections like that on the "e" use multiple points stacked on top of each other with one bezier handle apiece, instead of using a single corner point with two bezier handles. (it's a common problem caused by the tools they use to speed up the creation multiple font weights). When you extrude the surfaces made by stacked points you often end up with little walls pushed in random directions. As far as Cheetah is concerned, these are tiny little walls, not a single corner point.

Are you using the font tool in Cheetah, or importing outlines from a drawing problem like Illustrator or Affinity Designer? if importing, cleaning up those corners in 2D is often simpler than welding the points back together in Cheetah.

Also, be very careful about the extrusions of your letters overlapping the letter next to them - look at the left side of the "e"- in a 3D render, this is rarely a problem, but in 3D printing, you would be putting a single wall surface inside of a solid 3D objects again.
The outlines are created in Illustrator. I guess I was too lazy to clean it up properly.
Thanks for the tip.

importing outlines from a drawing problem like Illustrator or Affinity Designer

Lydia's mysterious hand struck again (but sometimes they are a problem indeed).

About the problem itself: Usually automatic cleanups don't really work with such stuff. Just delete the faulty parts and recrate them yourself (most of the time a bridge should be enough to cover the newly created hole).

Back