DaVinci Resolve

From another thread:
I'm on an iMac pro with a Vega 64 and just finished a 20 second Falcon video rendering that took about 2.5 days to complete at 1080p, 60 fps and 64 samples (still very noisy).
I have been experimenting with DaVinci Resolve lately and it looks promising.
There is a "super scale" functionality and it works quite well, same with the "optical flow" retiming.
I tried DaVinci Resolve 15 on my Video to upscale from 1080p to 4k with noise reduction.
What settings are you using? It doesn't look significantly better here. Perhaps, there's just too much noise?
Probably it's just too much noise.
I've used it mainly on denoised renders from Blender and there it works.
But apparently there are denoising functions in DR too, see here, but I have not tried those yet.
I'm using the super scale property in the clip's attributes (2x, low, low), also retiming to 50% with highest settings.

Somian said:
I tried DaVinci Resolve 15 on my Video to upscale from 1080p to 4k with noise reduction.
What settings are you using? It doesn't look significantly better here. Perhaps, there's just too much noise?

Sorry, but expecting to get a noise reduction along enlarging a picture seems a bit ... say, far fetched. Actually the blown up video will have lesser quality usually than the original. And 64 samples are not much in any case, obviously way to less in yours. If you would like to use Resolve on it, it would be to render half the resolution with better quality and then enlarge it.

So I really would recommend to optimize the scene first. One question is, why 60 frames? A movie is usually at 24 fps, and most people (not gamers, though) can't really get the difference between 30, 60 or 120 fps. It can be seen with very fast movements. Using 30 fps would cut render time in half. Other stuff that could be involved would be to much geometry around that can't be seen, displacement, very big textures, and so on. I really would look into that and make a few test renders with a small part before starting the whole animation (and make sure, your quality is good enough before you render the whole anim). I'm sure there is a lot of potential to siginificantly reduce render times. After that you can try to render half the wanted resolution and then try DaVinci (if possible, I wouldn't).

By the way, your graphics card doesn't help with the rendering, as Cheetah is CPU only. And most of the gpu renderers around are nvidia only.

Back