Cross Sections of complex objects with multiple materials

The other threads on cross sections seem to all use the same method. Collapse the object to be sliced into a single boolean (addition) or collapse it into a mesh and then put that into a boolean(subtract) with a slicer object.

I'm modeling a puzzle box to build a physical one. To track materials I need for the physical build, I am using different materials in Cheetah3d. To make sure everyone in the shop stays on the same page, I'm trying to print out cross sections showing the interior structure of the box. Unfortunately, as soon as I start collapsing the box down to a single/sliceable object the materials combine. i.e. when I combine the maple and birch wood parts, all of them become maple.

1) Is there a way to make a sliceable object and maintain materials?
2) I could boolean(addition) all of my objects of one material together, take all of those booleans and then slice each individually. This means going through my hierarchy and selecting each slicing object (part to be removed) each time. Is there a way to tie the different slicing objects together so they move together?
3) I'd be fine rendering these instead of modeling it. Can I set the camera so it only renders things > Z value away from the camera?
4) Something else?

many thanks!

Attachments

• SEPuzzleBox.jas.zip
    92.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Slice 1@0.5x.png
    Slice 1@0.5x.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 240
The other threads on cross sections seem to all use the same method. Collapse the object to be sliced into a single boolean (addition) or collapse it into a mesh and then put that into a boolean(subtract) with a slicer object.

I'm modeling a puzzle box to build a physical one. To track materials I need for the physical build, I am using different materials in Cheetah3d. To make sure everyone in the shop stays on the same page, I'm trying to print out cross sections showing the interior structure of the box. Unfortunately, as soon as I start collapsing the box down to a single/sliceable object the materials combine. i.e. when I combine the maple and birch wood parts, all of them become maple.

1) Is there a way to make a sliceable object and maintain materials?
2) I could boolean(addition) all of my objects of one material together, take all of those booleans and then slice each individually. This means going through my hierarchy and selecting each slicing object (part to be removed) each time. Is there a way to tie the different slicing objects together so they move together?
3) I'd be fine rendering these instead of modeling it. Can I set the camera so it only renders things > Z value away from the camera?
4) Something else?

many thanks!

And then I found Ortho Camera. By creating a new camera, and setting the projection to Orthographic, you can set a Clip near field. That does it... consider this one solved.

The creepy cylindrical things at the bottom are copper top C batteries... realized they looked kinda bomb like and didn't want to freak anyone out. :)

Attachments

• Slice 1@0.5x.png
    Slice 1@0.5x.png
    365.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Excellent workaround, much easier than setting up many booleans.

Here's a tip, don't use scale to size something, use the width, height and
length parameters, or you may run into many other problems down the line.

SEpBox scale.jpg

Excellent workaround, much easier than setting up many booleans.

Here's a tip, don't use scale to size something, use the width, height and
length parameters, or you may run into many other problems down the line."]

I had no idea that existed. You made my life so much easier... Thank You!!!!

I always found using the center bad of the transform gizmo to resize the obj a fast way to scale. I was unaware of the ensuing problems down the line so I will start scaling with the width, height and length parameters. Thanks Zoo and Frank.

found using the center bad of the transform gizmo to resize the obj a fast way to scale
I always use a 3-button-mouse - so I´m not sure how it translates with mobile Macs - but you can always hold shift+alt down and LMB click&drag somewhere in 3d view to uniformly scale an object. When in object mode used the Coord-system tool lets reset Scale: back to 1:1:1.

Cheers
Frank

I always use a 3-button-mouse - so I´m not sure how it translates with mobile Macs - but you can always hold shift+alt down and LMB click&drag somewhere in 3d view to uniformly scale an object.

Cheers
Frank
This doesn't work for me for some reason. I use a 3-button mouse,
but when I try this the object moves to the location of the click and drag.

I always found using the center bad of the transform gizmo to resize the obj a fast way to scale. I was unaware of the ensuing problems down the line so I will start scaling with the width, height and length parameters. Thanks Zoo and Frank.
I do the same thing. But if it's a Parametric object, I transpose the scale numbers into the x/y/z properties, then I make the scale 1/1/1 again. If the object is editable, then I use the Coord System/Burn Transform command as Frank said.

I wonder If it would be easy to program a button to transpose the scale numbers of a Parametric object to the x/y/z properties, or am I just lazy?

I always use a 3-button-mouse - so I´m not sure how it translates with mobile Macs - but you can always hold shift+alt down and LMB click&drag somewhere in 3d view to uniformly scale an object. When in object mode used the Coord-system tool lets reset Scale: back to 1:1:1.

Cheers
Frank
So with a three button mouse you don't use shift+alt+LBM drag? Or you do?

I thought you meant:hold shift+alt down and LMB click&drag somewhere in 3d view to uniformly scale an object when using a mobile Mac but it was different somehow with a 3Button Mouse. Sorry for misunderstanding and thank you for the tip.

Back