Replicate routing out.

Hi,

I am trying to replicate a router cutting out a shape.

The method I tried is using a boolean and a text with an extrusion. I animated the scale ti extend the whole. Obviously this won't work as I need lettering (as the box on the right ).

Is there a way to expose the text so it looks like it is being machined.

http://www.toolfolks.com/docs/router.mov

http://www.toolfolks.com/docs/material.jas

Cheers

Steve Warby

Attachments

• router.png
    router.png
    361.8 KB · Views: 242
Hi Steve
* You will need a second Boolean (= the router) in the hierarchy which blanks out from 100% to 0% of the lettering. Of course, this object needs to be animated to move along the strokes of the individual letters.
* Most likely, you need to split the word into single letters to animate the 2nd Boolean object cleanly.
* This will work (with some fiddling) on simple / single-stroke letters, eg "c" or "i".
* For more complex letters with a T-junction, eg "a" or "b" you either need to construct a shape-shifting Boolean to show the progress of the routing tool or you need to split single letters into individual strokes and animate those separately.
* Some tests show that this will work, but it is rather tedious and laborious stuff.
* On the plus side, you can add a particle emitter which blows out wood dust as the router follows the lettering :p

* Quick&Dirty: You can animate the text, but this will work only on complete letters. In this case, start the text with a spatium, otherwise the whole Boolean will disappear.

* There may be an alternative:
* This will involve a chain creator, fairly densely populated with cylinders and animated (from / to / offset) to simulate the linear progress of the router.
* Once more, a bit laborious, but possibly more elegant and flexible than the previous method I suggested.
* I don't know how / if this can be combined cleanly with the required Booleans.
* I test that tomorrow (CET). This was a long day :devilish:

Last edited:
Interesting idea Helmut. Curious to how your experiment will turn out when you get to it. Also learned a new word today too. Spatium. :)

Possibly an animated displacement map could do it, but creating that may be difficult as well. Just thought I'd throw another idea out, even if it may not really work.

* Oops
* Version #2 for router crashes C3D :devilish:
* Warning: Do not use this .jas without relevant precautions!
* Version #2 deploys a Boolean, the base object being the wooden block to be worked on, the subtracting object being a chain of n small cylinders.
* The chain has been keyframed to start/end at (0;0) at frame 1 and to start/end at (0;1) at frame n. Basically, this is an increasing set of holes along the splines of the letter.
* The Boolean has been deactivated in the object browser. In the moment the Boolean is activated, C3D quits on my Mac.

* @ Frank B: Pease verify the crash and pass this on to the Good Doctor for an analysis.
* Servus aus Wien

* After some more testing:
* If I decrease the holes in the chain (from 100 to 48) so they do not overlap, the Boolean suddenly works without a crash. Of course, I get individual holes, which is not what I want.
* It seems that the overlapping elements of the chain causes the C3D crash. Both an increase of the items in the chain (-> overlap) or an increase in the radius of the hole (-> overlap) generates an instant crash.

* @ Steve:
* I have experimented with some other possibilities for the router (Boolean plus a sweep plus a build modifier, Boolean plus a spline mesh) but I get nowhere.
* I still have another option deploying one of Master Hiroto´s scripts, but then I am out of constructive ideas.

Attachments

• RouterTest BooC.jas.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 208
This is made internally in Cheetah3d keyframing the "From" property inside a chain creator and material greyscale values to get this animation first:
PathTrace.gif

Which is then used as an animated displacement map here:
CNC%20router.gif

The router bit follows the same spline via spline tracking.
This is made from scratch in about an hour excluding render test&finishing - so you might get an idea of the time this job requires.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
* @ Frank B: Pease verify the crash and pass this on to the Good Doctor for an analysis.
Will do. But I believe this set-up has a weak point and this is the chain creator itself; it´s just a stack of hulls and not one solid mesh which cannot be used as 1 mesh for subtraction from another object. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Frank

The router bit follows the same spline via spline tracking.

Great job Frank!

I believe the displacement way is the only viable because it will work with UV-materials.
Animating a boolean creator will change the geometry and thus distort any given UV map; it would work with 3D procedural wood only.

Very cool as usual Frank. Kudos to Helmut too though for taking the time to try and come up with a solution. That's what's great about these forums.

* Thank you, Frank! Great and elegant stuff!
* For obscure reasons (diagnosed as increasingly frequent attacks of presenile cerebration :mad:, I got stuck in a blind alley in my minimal brainstorms. In any case, despite leading to no applicable solution, it was good mental exercise which may be useful at some stage in the future.
* Knowing what doesn't work is often more important than knowing what works :sick:
* Servus from Vienna

Back