Replicate carved wood

Ok so here's a quick procedural hack that doesn't look convincing, maybe with a better "old wood" texture.
You may have to paint your own bump texture.
You can do that inside Cheetah with the UV > paint tool (look up in help) to see where you're painting at.
High resolution and 16bit would be better, that needs an external image editor to create a texture with 16bit color depth.

image.jpg

(Apparently the file size upload limit has been reduced. You'll need The Unarchiver.app or 7zX.app to extract the jas.)

Attachments

• joinerybump.jas.7z.zip
    338.5 KB · Views: 228
I am on Mac and have this free app.

http://www.crazybump.com/

It gives me 5 outputs

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_COLOR.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_COLOR.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_DISP.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_DISP.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_NRM.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_NRM.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_OCC.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_OCC.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_SPEC.png

Wood 1600 x 1136 px 260913_SPEC.png

Which of the above is the correct one to use on Cheetah.

ie
Diffuse =
Specular =
Reflection =
Emmisive =
Bumpmap =

Thanks in advance

Steve Warby

* Generally, your own experiments will teach you much more than will the advice of others.
* Use all 5 alternatives and load as images (they need not be connected and can be "orphan" nodes). Then switch the noodly links to the relevant parameters of the primary material until it suits your requirements.

Which of the above is the correct one to use on Cheetah.

Are you still after this distressed look with dents made using a hammer?
Then the emissive (white with dark spots) would be close, but don't use it with the original image you derived it from or the dents will just match the knotholes.
I have used Crazybump before to get normal from height maps but never tried the other functionalities.
I don't see how this would help in your case.
From your link above (#20) I gather this kind of worn look is fabricated by the woodworker treating the wood with hammers and stuff.
So I think the texture should be created similarly, except using a paintbrush instead of a hammer :)
But probably any texture with black splotches would work.
Tomorrow I will make another attempt.

The easiest way is to mix a wood texture with a grunge texture (lots of free ones on the web).
(file without textures)

Attachments

• wornwood.jpg
    wornwood.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 221
  • wornwood.jas.zip
    203.6 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
3. On the website I used an eye drop to select a colour from the image. I added a gradient from white to the new colour in the main section then in the photo section I reversed it. I think it works okay.

I've been meaning to comment on this effect on your website for a while now and keep forgetting.
I really really really like the look you created this way.
What a great idea.
It gives your website a polished look.
Thanks for sharing.:)

Back