UI response slow in 10.14 when rendering

UI response slow in 10.14 when rendering

Hi,

Has anyone noticed that, since Mojave, using Cheetah 3D is extremely slow while rendering in Falcon at the same time? I often have multiple Cheetah3D tabs open and render things in the background while I model.

In 10.13, even rendering something that takes hours didn't really have a negative effect (except a few hiccups now and then) on the ability to use the 3D viewport and keep working on a scene.

Since Mojave, however, the Editor is unusable while rendering. Every click takes 2-5 seconds to register and I keep getting the beachball.

The interesting thing is that it works fine when I use two instances of Cheetah 3D (I'm running 7.2.1 and the 7.3b4 simultaneously). If I let the Beta render around in the background, I can work totally fine in 7.2.1.

What's going on?

EDIT:

I dug a little deeper and it looks like it depends on the computer. I have two computers, desktop and laptop right now and, strangely, it occurs only on the desktop. I tried the following configurations:

Laptop: (works fine)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
Radeon Pro 460 4 GB

Desktop: (lags like crazy when rendering)

iMac Pro (2017)
3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W
64 GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB

… weird stuff

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have the same problems with 7.2.1 when you are modelling and rendering in the same app?

Did you have the same problems with 7.3 Beta 3 or is that new to Beta 4?

I tried with 7.2.1, 7.3 beta 3 and 7.3 beta 4. Performance is the same.

I noticed that something is strange with my iMac since the update, though… I'll try to reformat it and see if this still occurs. File operations also got extremely slow (takes 30 seconds to save a simple text file).

:confused:
I don't know if this applies but since one of the last few Apple updates it takes forever to open a Pages file.

I just thought: I have quite a few Pages and other documents on my desk-top.

My Best
Jeanny

Last edited:
In the activity monitor, do you have what looks like a video task chewing up some crazy amount of cycles? It looks to me like Photos uses a bunch of CPU to do stuff to your photo library (regenerating thumbnails? who knows) in the background after you install Mojave (even when it's not running). Even explicitly killing the process doesn't seem to help, it just kicks it off again. After a while it finishes. (I guess it's similar to what happens when Spotlight decides to rebuild its indexes).

I've only installed Mojave on one device so far, and it seems to have been futzing around with Photos for about half the day (of intermittent use — it's a laptop).

Personally, I tend to be a little conservative with new OS releases these days. I used to install pre-alpha releases back in the 90s and never had serious problems (if Apple had ever distributed a version of Copland then that would have changed) but I'm older and busier these days.

Last edited:
I don't know if this applies but since one of the last few Apple updates it takes forever to open a Pages file.

I just thought: I have quite a few Pages and other documents on my desk-top.

My Best
Jeanny

I got the same thing!

I can just create a new plain text file in TextEdit, press ⌘ + S and it beachballs for ~20 seconds! :confused:

I'll try to reformat my Mac and see if that still happens again.

Ok, I formatted, reinstalled 10.14 and re-downloaded Cheetah 3D.

I still get the same problem. On my MacBook Pro it's fine, on my iMac Pro the UI is unusable as soon as something is rendering. It's so slow that I can't even click the "stop" button in the render window. If I want to stop the render, I have to hold the left mouse button for more than 4 seconds.

I'm using the 7.3 release version from the main website.

Also, all of the other problems with my iMac got resolved from reformatting and everything is fast now, except Cheetah 3D while rendering The problem is that, if I do a heavy render, I have to kill cheetah 3D to stop it because the "stop" button gets unresponsive.

Last edited:
Back