Selecting objects when cloned

Selecting objects when cloned

Hi, When I've cloned an object i am unable to select the object clone as with 'select all' it selects the object and the clone. When trying to select the object via select points etc, its really difficult to select all the points! Is there any type of lasso tool for selecting points? Can the cloned object be created as an object in its own right? Is there a simpler way of duplicating objects? :?

Any help is much appreciated!

I had the same problem yesterday Gwen. I cloned a chair and could never select it. I would always select the original chair no matter how close I got and not matter how dead center my selection was on the point. So, I just typed in new coordinates to separate it from the other model.

Can't you just select the model in the model list panel on the right of the C3d window... then click on the tri colooured co-ordinate arrow thingy in the tool bar... than you can click on the arrow ends to move the object in the three directions... or rotate with the ball bits of the thingy...

technical talk this is ya see... :D

cheers
Trevor

That's what I was doing Trevor. I'd highlight it on the list then go to the arrows. Everytime I clicked on the arrow it select the original. I tried changing the order in the list, but that didn't make a difference. Not a big deal, but it was a litle annoying at the time.

How about selecting the original in the list and then turning it off in the "Visible in the Editor"...

cheers
T

Re: Selecting objects when cloned

Gwen said:
Hi, When I've cloned an object i am unable to select the object clone as with 'select all' it selects the object and the clone. When trying to select the object via select points etc, its really difficult to select all the points! Is there any type of lasso tool for selecting points? Can the cloned object be created as an object in its own right? Is there a simpler way of duplicating objects? :?

Hi,
if you use the clone tool you only dublicate some polygons in a polygon object. No new polygon object will be created. So if you use "select all" all polygons of the polygon object will be select.

If you want to duplicate a hole object you better select it in the object brower and use copy & paste. This will create a hole dublicate of the object.

But you can also use the clone tool and use the "Selection->Area selection" tool from the Selection menu to select bigger polygon or point groups. The area select tool is available since version 2.2.

Alternatively you can just select one polygon of the cloned polygons and use the "Selection->Select Group" menu command. This command will select all polygons which are connect to the polygons you selected.

I hope that I could help.

By,
Martin

I had it screwed up. I thought she ment copy. Forgot about the actual 'clone' tool. Still, I can'rt seem to ever separate a copy using the arrows. I have to enter a value.

Hi,
it works fine on my Mac.
If you have tow idendical object copys in the scene at the same position and you click on it with the transform tool it will select one of the copies. Normally the first one in the object browser. So don't click into the scene.

To move the object you have to drag the arrows of the transform gadget. Clicking on them just performs a select action.

By,
Martin

I tried that. I zoomed in so far that that arrow looked like a spaceship. I'd select the copy in the list then vary carefully click dead center in the arrow. It would always go to the original. I moved the copy to the top of the list and stiil couldn't pick it.

Very very strange. It works fine for me.
Do you have the same behaviour with the scale and rotate gadgets too.
Do you use version 2.2?

By,
Martin

Yes, I'll get the file out again tonight and try to duplicate it Martin. If I do I'll send it to you. It's not that big a deal. I can always enter it manually to get it started in the right direction.

Yes, please send me an example file or a click by click instruction. It still works perfectly on my Mac.

Many thanks in advance.

By,
Martin

Back