Some Cheetah 7 test renders

Some Cheetah 7 test renders

Hi gals and guys, (very) long time no see!

While I had to test some FBX scenes made from another 3D app, I thought it would be a good idea to try them in Cheetah 3D 7!... And test this "new" release (at least for me...) which seemed to be very cool. :smile:

And that turned into a testing of the new render engine for mainly archiviz scenes!

First my hat off to Martin for such a great render engine, Faclon is really impressive, even more when you consider Cheetah is a one man application! :icon_thumbup:

That's really impressive Martin, congratulations!

Ok, there are a few things here and there that could get better or perhaps that I don't understand or didn't find settings for, but overall Falcon is a joy to use, not to mention "the old" Cheetah render engine is still there!

Anyway, as I didn't get the upgrade yet those renders are done with the demo version of Cheetah 7, which, fortunately enough is rock stable, allowing me to have those multiple scenes open without losing anything ! (fingers crossed for that to stay the same! :redface: )
And the great thing with the demo is that you can render as much as you want without any watermark, even in HDR or EXR, thanks to martin for that! :icon_thumbup:

Weel, enough talking, here are the renders now, hopefully they'll get better soon! :smile:

Attachments

• Cabane.jpg
    Cabane.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 591
  • Meuble_Fer.jpg
    Meuble_Fer.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 597
  • Museum.jpg
    Museum.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 613
  • Office.jpg
    Office.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 611
  • Zhiyaochen_01.jpg
    Zhiyaochen_01.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:

Very nice, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I especially like the last one. It's so much easier to do
modern interiors, I hardly ever see molding anymore.
It could be an apartment in Boston.

Thanks guys, I'll try to find ways to reduce the noise without skyrocketing the render times, still a lot to discover regarding Falcon but it's a great addition to Cheetah, that's for sure! :icon_thumbup:

More to come, but first I'll need to buy my upgrade in order to save those scenes, even if Cheetah is rock stable it's a bit foolish to work on this without saving... :redface:

Those look really nice Tartiflette! Thanks for sharing them. Oh yeah, and welcome back. :D
Thanks, as i'm less and less involved in "high end" 3D work i think I'll go back to Cheetah more often, as it's so much fun to use and with its new render engine you can do so much already! :cool:

It will be perfect for my simple pack shots or 3D viz. :smile:

Belongs to the best I have seen done with Falcon except of the noise.

On the other hand I'm not so sure if less noise doesn't equal less realism –*would really be interesting to see a clean render.

Thanks guys! :smile:

Here are some new renders based on Frank's advice to set the sample count to 0 in order to run noise free, even if it leads (of course...) to longer render times. :redface:

Unfortunately I had to shutdown my computer so those scenes are lost for now but I'll try to redo them when I get my 7.x license, so that I can save the scenes! :wink:

Still some work would be needed in order to have them really noise free but for the most part those amount are acceptable I think.

One thing I didn't find while playing with the HDRIs I had at my disposal (those HDRIs are made by a friend of mine and he asked me if I could do some archiviz renders with these for his gallery...) is the "MIS" option, although it's shown in the doc...
Did it get removed? :confused:

It would be needed to ensure sharp shadows from HDRIs with a sun, as well as more available samples. (now the current limit seems to be 512 samples...)

Anyway, thanks for watching, and see you later with more renders from Falcon! :icon_thumbup:

Attachments

• Meuble_Fer-03a.jpg
    Meuble_Fer-03a.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 458
  • Meuble_Fer-03b.jpg
    Meuble_Fer-03b.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 462
  • Museum_02.jpg
    Museum_02.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Zhiyaochen_02.jpg
    Zhiyaochen_02.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
In the second image is still a noticeable amount of noise which shouldn´t be there if Falcon renders to the end.
You might want to know that Cheetah3d now supports IES-lights.
One small suggestion because I had some bad experience with external image hosters - I believe your image sizes will fit into the forum without question.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Tartiflette, great renders again, especially the second with the mix of indoor and outdoor lights!

Concerning the HDRI object: With the Falcon render the sample count of the object is obsolete because the sample count of the render properties is used.
The sample properties of the HDRI object are for use with the Cheetah renderer without radiosity.

The MIS (multiple importance sampling) property is automatic now AFAIK and doesn't need to be set manually any more. It doesn't effect the shadow quality but the weighing of lights if there are several in the scene.

From my experience adaptive sampling does NOT guarantee clean renders if you have large objects with blurry reflections (like the floor materials) which will produce caustic noise if reflective caustics are on. You can try to disable those or increase caustic filtering, both might help with noise and render times but will reduce lighting in the scene.

Last edited:
In the second image is still a noticeable amount of noise which shouldn´t be there if Falcon renders to the end.
You might want to know that Cheetah3d now supports IES-lights.
One small suggestion because I had some bad experience with external image hosters - I believe your image sizes will fit into the forum without question.

Cheers
Frank
Thanks Frank for the suggestion, I didn't even notice the attachment option, that's why I opted for an external image hoster, I picked the first one that looked decent but I'll upload the image right onto the forum from now on, thanks again! :icon_thumbup:

As for the grain it's probably because the renders are far more darker in Cheetah than what we can see here and if the "noise search" by Falcon is made based on 8bit image it cannot see the difference? :confused:

And yes, I know about IES lights, I used them on the "museum" and "office" scenes! :wink:

I'll keep on exploring Falcon's features in the near future anyway. :smile:

Hi Tartiflette, great renders again, especially the second with the mix of indoor and outdoor lights!

Concerning the HDRI object: With the Falcon render the sample count of the object is obsolete because the sample count of the render properties is used.
The sample properties of the HDRI object are for use with the Cheetah renderer without radiosity.

The MIS (multiple importance sampling) property is automatic now AFAIK and doesn't need to be set manually any more. It doesn't effect the shadow quality but the weighing of lights if there are several in the scene.

From my experience adaptive sampling does NOT guarantee clean renders if you have large objects with blurry reflections (like the floor materials) which will produce caustic noise if reflective caustics are on. You can try to disable those or increase caustic filtering, both might help with noise and render times but will reduce lighting in the scene.
Thanks for your comments and your suggestions! :icon_thumbup:

As for the HDRI, it seems there needs to be an adjustable samples count as you end up not having sufficient definition to ensure crisp shadows from the HDRI. I'll upload a render done in blender with the same HDRI to show how Cycles (very similar to Falcon in its way of rendering...) copes with this.

As for the caustics it's probably what caused the noise and the (quite high) render times, as I don't remember checking or unchecking the option... :redface:

Anyway, I'll try other scenes and see what I can come up with, thanks again! :icon_thumbup:

As for the HDRI, it seems there needs to be an adjustable samples count as you end up not having sufficient definition to ensure crisp shadows from the HDRI.

Hi Tartiflette,

another reason for not getting crisp shadows from a HDRI could be the clamp value.
If that has the default value of 10 it might cut off the bright sun light and give too much weight to the ambient part. In this case higher sample count won't help.
Here I'd recommend to set HDRI clamping to zero.

In my example pic you see a crisp shadow after only 10 samples in Falcon!
And when I reduce the 32 HDRI samples to one the render looks identical.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    392.5 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Hi Tartiflette,

another reason for not getting crisp shadows from a HDRI could be the clamp value.
If that has the default value of 10 it might cut off the bright sun light and give too much weight to the ambient part. In this case higher sample count won't help.
Here I'd recommend to set HDRI clamping to zero.

In my example pic you see a crisp shadow after only 10 samples in Falcon!
And when I reduce the 32 HDRI samples to one the render looks identical.
Great idea, I might test that when I get some time, thanks! :icon_thumbup:

Yep, you were right, spot on! :icon_thumbup:

It's working with "clamp" value set to zero, I get crisp shadows from the HDRI, as shown in the example here.
(I reimported the FBX but decided to do just a "clay" render as it's too much time to redo everything now...)

Now it's a matter of finding the right balance to let the noise disappear as I let Cheetah "guess" when it was acceptable and it's still VERY noisy, even after 37000+ samples and almost 3 hours on my MacBook Pro, which I admit isn't a real power horse when it comes to rendering...

But still I think Cycles from blender copes much better with this situation than Falcon, I'll do a test to see the difference. :wink:

Thanks for the tip it helps a lot! :icon_thumbup:

Attachments

• Meuble_Fer_Test.jpg
    Meuble_Fer_Test.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Glad it worked for you!
But still I think Cycles from blender copes much better with this situation than Falcon
That's my conclusion too, but Cycles has GPU support, noise reduction and portal lights for interior renders just like yours whereas Falcon was officially released just eight months ago and is not really finished yet.

For a scene like yours I'd need an overnight render and still some noise treatment in post.

Back