Conference Room

Conference Room

A rather stupid setup with mainly indirect lighting and PBR shaders with blurry reflections, so it renders forever but also looks just gorgeous.

conference room.jpg

(removed outdated file; final version in post#3)

Last edited:
Nice model! I especially love the procedural city you have out the window. Thanks for sharing it. I'm always curious about other people's 3d techniques.

learning by doing

Thanks Swizl!
Didn’t find a suitable free skyscraper HDRI and resorted to box modeling instead :wink:

______

After 12h of rendering it suddenly occurred to me that the wall looks dirty.
I figured that my wood materials were too bright (ca 0.75, wall=0.8 ).
So I made them darker and ramped up render exposure.
The result is more realistic IMO, especially the outside gets a nice overexposed look (before it was kinda misunderexposed :tongue: )

office6.jpg

Attachments

• office6.jas.zip
    457.1 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Thanks Martin!

I replaced image and file in post#3 with the latest versions.
Bounces were reduced from 24 to 8 and specular level of the wall material set to zero: much faster rendering with no visible difference.

Last edited:
Nice Work

As always great job.
I like your buildings with the Glassfront mat and your procedural PBR wood is great too.

I'll probably study it more and be more impressed.

I downloaded the file and did a render just for curiosity sake. It rendered to a Quality of 8402spp, Time 23275 sec. but is still noisy. What do you think about that. I think you've been mentioning that Adaptive Sampling needs some refining.

Thanks for sharing!
--shift studio.

Hi Shift, glad you like it! :smile:

Wow your Mac is fast, my MacBook needs 39272 s.

The Problem with those PBR materials is that they have reflection always activated (specular value = 0.5 default), even on diffuse surfaces.
That means that refractive caustics come into play and slow things down.
Deactivating caustics would mean loss of light and defy the PBR concept.
For diffuse materials (in PBR that's roughness close to 1) you can set the specular value to 0, making it a diffuse shader producing no caustics.
That's what I did to the wall material in the last file and it immediately helped, but of course the subtle reflectance of the wood materials is essential and has to stay. A material shader with blurred reflection would cause the same problems.
Indeed I think after countless tests that adaptive sampling currently doesn't deal well with the caustic noise (for diffuse only it's ok) and needs better detection and/or adjustability.

Also this is the reason why I'm rooting for a denoise function, in Cycles this scene would probably be done in an hour on CPU and with GPU support you could animate it.

Last edited:
That second render out the window looks good too!

Would creating an exr/hdri of the exterior help at all?

Thank you too, Swizl.

When I deactivate the building and render only the tower array the scene comes clean very quickly so I don't think a HDRI would speed up things much.

Back