WWDC 2018: Deprecation of OpenGL

With the new Mac Pro there is no dumping Intel any time soon.

You're right about the Mac Pro & iMac Pro because they're running Intel Xeon W server class cpus that place them in a league all their own, however that's certainly not the case for all Macs below those models.

With the new Mac Pro there is no dumping Intel any time soon.

I'm not soooo sure about that. Nor are the Xeons 'a league of their own' anymore, AMD is near there. Intel's i9 and Amd's Ryzen Threadripper are in some benchmarks even faster and they are cheaper. And this year will see even faster Processors from both firms.

And we plain don't know what Apple has up it's sleeve. Could be that they'll have a comparable processor in a few years. So or so, they will have to keep MacOS compatible with Intel anyways for a while. People wouldn't be happy if they couldn't update to the next OS, especially after buying a Pro or so.

It's a rumour, but it could be possible. And I for one don't really think it's a bad thing. Intel still has some problems (and could get more). If the new processors are as good, they could be cheaper (for Apple, of course, not for us), and they wouldn't be dependent from Intel anymore.

On the other hand, I don't see a reason to be excited about it.

I find Apple super frustrating. Think of all the shiny new tech they gave us AKA giant piles of e-waste. Stuff very useful but then no use at all. The mistreatment of workers and the damage that mining must have done. The gutless batteries that died and made using the phone a pure frustration. The lack of sustainability in a finite world is profound.

At least windows stuff was meant to be user fixable. I would buy a Windows version. I think it would be a hit.

I find Apple super frustrating. Think of all the shiny new tech they gave us AKA giant piles of e-waste. Stuff very useful but then no use at all. The mistreatment of workers and the damage that mining must have done. The gutless batteries that died and made using the phone a pure frustration. The lack of sustainability in a finite world is profound.

At least windows stuff was meant to be user fixable. I would buy a Windows version. I think it would be a hit.

I’m not sure which company you’re comparing Apple to that does a better job of managing e-waste, worker rights, or whatever. Just to start with, the average iPhone/mac stays in use far longer (>2x) than the average android/pc, and the iPhone/mac is (now) 100% recyclable.

there are companies who try to produce exactly this, gadgets that indeed do a better job of managing all this problems. Only they are technically not always up to the standard, quite expensive and of course not very often sold (fairphone is such an example which does come to mind).

For myself I have 'solved' such issues only to a certain degree: I buy only what I really need (or at least think, that I need it) and thereafter do use it as long as possible or giving it away to somebody who can use it even if it's technologically outdated (so my first computer made it at least a dozen years, given to a friend, who gave it a few years later one to somebody else, who did the same ... and than I lost track of it).

Back