The noob is back

The noob is back

Is there a way to set the unit of measurement to MILES?

Also me: Where do I set ANY units of measurement for a project?

In addition: I can't seem to set number of frames for an animation past 240, I'd like to set it to 1440 or 60 frames at 24 frames per second.

Thanks in advance.

C3D units are arbitrary. You can make 1C3D unit = 1 mile or 1in.
There are some best practices - I'm sure someone will give you specific advice on this.
Some considerations when choosing your scale are:
- C3D use is precise to 4 decimal points in its measurements;
- if you are creating dynamics simulations, it seems you are best off to 1C3D unit = a small physical unit like a centimetre or inch;
- you may need to tweak your camera's 'clip near' and 'clip far' settings.

(aside - actually I've been meaning to find out what units C3D is using for it's constants/calculations - eg. gravity force = 9.8 m/s^2 - when I use 1 C3D unit = 1metre, my dynamics simulations often end up failing - rigid body objects fall through rigid body objects)

To make a longer animation, you need to adjust your 'Take' length. I'm unsure of the default, but for me, I have a 'Takes' tab in the same palette as 'Objects' and 'Layers'

Hope this helps.
--shift Studio.

Ah I kinda did that I made the Earth as 1 unit then the moon sphere .27. So that works out. I was trying to learn best practices though.

I figured out the take thing too, I guess I just need to dig around more before posting (I did dig for awhile though).

C3D units are arbitrary. You can make 1C3D unit = 1 mile or 1in.
Some considerations when choosing your scale are:
- C3D use is precise to 4 decimal points in its measurements;
- if you are creating dynamics simulations, it seems you are best off to 1C3D unit = a small physical unit like a centimetre or inch;
- you may need to tweak your camera's 'clip near' and 'clip far' settings.

(aside - actually I've been meaning to find out what units C3D is using for it's constants/calculations - eg. gravity force = 9.8 m/s^2 - when I use 1 C3D unit = 1metre, my dynamics simulations often end up failing - rigid body objects fall through rigid body objects)

@TinyAM, Shift Studios has some good advice.

My 2 cents:

• Plan ahead: determine the scale and range of your scene before starting.

I've encountered unexpected problems/challenges with materials/textures and dynamics when I create objects too small, then decide to zoom in even further on a scene.
For example:
  • If the scene starts with a shot of the Earth and camera zooms into a city:
    then plan the scale on the city level, not the globe ... i.e. use 1 unit = 1 meter, vs 1 unit = 1 kilometer.
  • If the scene calls for zooming in to the level of room in a house:
    then maybe use 1 unit = 1 cm.
(This is an extreme example, but hopefully communicates the concept.)

P.S.
I'm learning the hard way, that pre-planning in each area -- modeling, materials, dynamics, animation -- can save a lot of time and frustration.

Back