Cooking up Another Moon, and Creating Water-Colour and Apple Skin Gas Giants

Cooking up Another Moon, and Creating Water-Colour and Apple Skin Gas Giants

I have turned my “Cooking Up a Moon” tutorial into a Skillshare class.

NEWSFLASH! As at 26 May 2018, this class is now free for an indefinite period of time (Maybe months, perhaps years). Here is the link: https://skl.sh/2ooIWa9

Enjoy!

01-cover.jpg

Part 1 – The Pancake Moon
In Part 1 of the class, you will learn how to:
- make pancakes in your kitchen
- using Affinity Photo, make equi-rectangular projection*texture and bump maps out of the pancake's cratered surface
- using Cheetah 3D, wrap the texture and bump maps around a sphere, and
- render your pancake moon using the included HDRI light.

Part 2 – Painting a Starry Nebula
With Affinity Photo, you will learn how to:
- use shapes to create stars and simple lens flares
- use the standard set of Affinity Photo brushes to paint star fields and a nebula
- composite your moon with your starry nebula, and
- fine tune the lighting of your moon.

There is no modelling in this class. There is a pre-prepared Cheetah 3D file, HDRI light, and starry background. The HDRI light (equirectangular projection) was created in Affinity Photo to replicate a sun.

Equirectangular Projection
02-equirectangular.jpg

Pancake Moon
03-moon.jpg

Blue watercolour stripes by fellow teacher Jessica Sanders, used to create a gas giant, plus a reddish brown watercolour applied to another gas planet.
040506-watercolour.jpg

An Apple skin was given the equirectangular projection treatment and applied to another sphere.
070809-apple.jpg

The lens flares were added using Lensflare Studio. All other effects were added using Affinity Photo.

Thank you Martin for letting me use the Cheetah 3D logo.

Last edited:

Thanks Chris, fantastic work. Looks like a great tutorial. :icon_thumbup::icon_thumbup:

Thanks Eric

Although it was put together in a hurry, here is the HDRI light that i created in Affinity Photo. It won't display in the Finder. I'm guessing this is because it's 32-bit image. It works fine in Cheetah 3D. Bump up the intensity for a brighter light.

Attachments

• single star 02.hdr.zip
    87.1 KB · Views: 444
I have made a few changes to this class. One is a change of name to make it clearer as to what is covered, and the other is a simplified cover image.

I'm interested to know if you watched it and how you found it, in particular if you used Affinity Photo to create equirectangular projections.

Attachments

• 10-cover.jpg
    10-cover.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 543
:smile: Thanks for the generous offer Chris.

Judging from past tuts you have posted I am sure it would be worth paying for
yet you offer it free.

My Best
Jeanny

:smile: Thanks for the generous offer Chris.

Judging from past tuts you have posted I am sure it would be worth paying for
yet you offer it free.

My Best
Jeanny

Thanks Jeanny. I think I’m the only Cheetah 3D user on Skillshare, so it’s not picking up any new students. Plus I’ve learned so much from everyone on this forum, it’s better that people make use of it rather than having it sitting idle. There are C4D, Maya and Blender classses on Skillshare, so if it does get some traction as a free class, it may lead to more sales for Martin.

Back