PBR Material Support with NO Fuss

PBR Material Support with NO Fuss

There have been a few threads where PBR (Physically Based Render) Materials have been discussed.

There have been work-arounds and conversions suggested to build a C3D Material using the PBR texture maps.

However, in my experience, its tough to get the C3D materials looking exactly like I expect - I expect them to look like they do in previews (if you purchased/downloaded them), or like they do in alternate software (if you painted them yourself). This is especially true for metallic materials.

So, my wish for today (but I've been wishing for a couple years) is true PBR Materials in Cheetah 3D.

Specifically I'm interested in the metalness/roughness workflow :)

Thanks for considering!
--Shift Studio.

Agreed! That would be great. Most of our sign products I model use a lot of different types of metal. Typically different types of aluminum (natural satin, anodized, extruded, butler finish, brushed etc.). We use a lot of Chemetal laminates too, so to match those would be wonderful. This would help a lot because I have a hard time getting them to look like the actual material.

Martin mentioned once he had an eye on amd pro render (it works with nvidia, too, as much as I know): https://pro.radeon.com/en/software/prorender/

Yes, the one they get when they buy cinema4d. Only with the more expensive versions (for blender, 3ds max or maya it's free), and somehow I understand that their customers are not that happy with it (maxon sells something they get for free, and it's not finished yet, as much as I know).

I'm afraid that's the only way to get PBR in the foreseeable future. With such a plugin the light, material and render problems would probably be solved.

bump^^

@Martin,

Can you share your thoughts about this? I'm really very interested in the answer.:)
I'd say its my most-wished-for wish.

Thanks, Shift Studio.

I will offer a pbr shader in the not so distant future. It's not too much work since the "Material" shader and a "PBR" shader are very similar. A PBR shader is already in the works and is of pretty high priority for me.

I'm afraid that's the only way to get PBR in the foreseeable future. With such a plugin the light, material and render problems would probably be solved.

ProRender is definitely an interesting renderer. But it misses many things Cheetah3D offers so it's definitely no easy drop in solution at the moment. Writing a PBR shader is ten times easier.:wink:

Bye
Martin

I will offer a pbr shader in the not so distant future. It's not too much work since the "Material" shader and a "PBR" shader are very similar. A PBR shader is already in the works and is of pretty high priority for me.

That’s fantastic news! Thanks for letting me (us) know.
Looking forward to seeing that.
—shift studio.

Yes, that sounds great. But, please, don't forget to address the problems with the lights and put in a more bounces :smile:

Writing a PBR shader is ten times easier.

Really wouldn't have thought so.

Pro Render still seems interesting, though, and I hope they will put in more functionality and better quality in the foreseeable future.

Made some good progress on the PBR shader this week. Things are looking good for v7.3. :smile:

Attachments

• PBR.jpg
    PBR.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 551
Very nice indeed! Thanks for listening to your users input. I can’t think of very many other apps I use where the developer is in regular direct contact with their customers. It’s one of the many things I love about C3d. :cool:

Some more PBR shader fun. Really like the new level of realism.

The textures are from freepbr.com . A excellent place for getting some high quality pbr textures for free.:smile:

Attachments

• PBR2.jpg
    PBR2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 426
that does look nice indeed.

Are you going for the Unreal Engine version of the materials?
Any chance of a screenshot of the shader?

Looking forward to this for sure!
--shift studio.

I'm noticing that the preview for the tiles on the freepbr.com site is a little more shiny/glossy. see attached. Curious if the PBR shader has fresnel built in?

thanks, shift studio.

Attachments

• freepbr-tiles.jpg
    freepbr-tiles.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 406
Some more PBR shader fun. Really like the new level of realism.
The textures are from freepbr.com . A excellent place for getting some high quality per textures for free
Thanks for the link.:icon_thumbup:

Are you going for the Unreal Engine version of the materials?
Any chance of a screenshot of the shader?

Cheetah3D will use the Metal/roughness workflow like the Unreal engine. So it should be pretty compatible with Unreal/Unity and pretty much every other app which follows the Disney Principled shader workflow.

I'm sorry but no screenshot yet. It not localised yet. Looks ugly.:redface:

Bye
Martin

Back